• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Grinding noise with NP435

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I get a grinding noise that seams to be coming from the transmission whenever the transmission is engaged and the truck is rolling. If I press the clutch, the noise goes away.

Throwout bearing? If so, what happens when it goes out? Will I still be able to limp a couple of miles back home? Will it cause other damage?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doesn't sound like the throwout bearing. Sounds more like the standard sound of an old and worn out NP435.
Did it just start all at once? Is it a newer tranny or fairly old? Using a different weight of gear lube than before?

Just a few questions for starters.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I may say not the TO bearing, but you should check your adjustment anyway. Just to make sure that the bearing is not touching the pressure plate when the pedal is all the way up and the clutch engaged.
I forget what the actual specification on pedal freeplay is, but it's not that much. Just enough for the bearing to clear while the clutch is engaged.

Paul

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I think it's been doing it since I got the truck last year. I've been ironing out several different issues one at a time and finally decided to throw a little attention to this issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since it goes away when you press the clutch, the TO bearing becomes even less likely. As does the input shaft and bearing.
If it was the input part of the trans, then it would do it in neutral too when the clutch was out, since it's spinning with the engine at that point.

So it could be an inner bearing on the idler or output shafts, or some gear-mesh issues between some of the gears. Seems like output bearings can take a beating.
Does it get worse in any particular gear?

When was the last time the lube was changed? What weight are you using in it currently? If it's been awhile, you should probably change the fluid and perhaps upgrade to a synthetic.
Heavier or lighter doesn't seem to be consistent in their benefits. Theoretically, a heavier grade would offer more cushion and fill larger gaps created by worn out parts. But I've actually had thinner grades of gear lube improve a transmission's noise characteristics before. It was not an NP435, but still, the thinner 75w/90 made it quieter (and it shifted better too!) than when I tried either the 85w/140 OR the straight 90.
On that note, all the NP435's that I've seen that ran ATF in them did make more noise than the ones running gear lube. Just a non-scientific observation on my part. Might have been the trucks were running less carpet and insulation in those cases.
You didn't by any chance remove any floor covering in your Bronco recently, did you?

Paul

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I seems to be worse in 2nd (third if you count Low as first.)

The transmission lube has not been changed since I got it and I'm sure it needs changing.

I don't have any floor covering and my floor boards are cobbled together.

Thanks for the info!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, if the PO felt like most other people did back then, the fluid has probably never been changed.
Unfortunately, urban legend says that gear-boxes fell into the "Lubed-for-Life" category. Wrongo.

So yeah, definitely time change it out. And hopefully it's not worn out beyond it's useful life and your noise will mostly go away. They're pretty tough, but nothing will live long without good oil in it.

Paul

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Changed the fluid. The old fluid had water in it.

It rode quiet to start with but quickly started to chatter as it warmed up.

It will chatter while the truck is still and the tranny is in neutral. Slightly pressing the clutch will make the chatter disappear. I think I have a return spring vibrating against some the frame or some sheet metal.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is the trans in the bronco and if so what adapter did you go with? Was it the 1'' aluminum one?

BroncoDave

Loc.
Washington
It will chatter while the truck is still and the tranny is in neutral. Slightly pressing the clutch will make the chatter disappear. I think I have a return spring vibrating against some the frame or some sheet metal.

My Bronco has always done that, I suspect I have the linkage a little too loose causing the arms that push the clutch to chatter when disengaged. When slightly pressed or the rpm increase the chattering goes away.

I am on my 3'rd motor, 3'rd clutch, 1 stock 3-speed and 2'nd NP425, and 3'rd throwout bearing. I think if I slightly tightened the linkage it would go away but I like the feel and the chatter has never caused any harm.

OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
My Bronco has always done that, I suspect I have the linkage a little too loose causing the arms that push the clutch to chatter when disengaged. When slightly pressed or the rpm increase the chattering goes away.

I am on my 3'rd motor, 3'rd clutch, 1 stock 3-speed and 2'nd NP425, and 3'rd throwout bearing. I think if I slightly tightened the linkage it would go away but I like the feel and the chatter has never caused any harm.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to fall back on my old standby method of trouble shooting....

....wait till it breaks to figure out what was wrong.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
My point was if you use the 1'' aluminum plate adapter to the stock 6 cyl extension housing, it is possible to put too long of bolt in the upper drivers side of the aluminum adapter. If the bolt is too long it will rub / grind on the gear. this could be your problem if you are using this set up.