• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hard top back stakes/posts--whatever you call them

SP66

Bronco Guru
How important to stability is it to use the back posts when attaching the hard full top? Can they be removed? Anyone run this way? It's a major PITA to remove and replace the top without causing paint damage.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I plan on cutting mine off so that only the top bolt is used. I see no need for the entire thing to be used.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
GregB,
Those stakes are hard to come by. New ones from Dynocorn are 140 ea. Yeah I need some for a truck I was working on and call about new one. I got a pair of used one from a eb brother. It took some looking as most people just toss them or cut them up.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
If you remove them completely there is nothing for the liftgate struts to attach to .
Those posts are where the welded nuts for the hatch attach . For ease of removal
I grind the bottom points & the mid side point round & after that they slip in & out with little effort .

muskrat

Bronco Guru
If you remove them completely there is nothing for the liftgate struts to attach to .
Those posts are where the welded nuts for the hatch attach . For ease of removal
I grind the bottom points & the mid side point round & after that they slip in & out with little effort .

Thats a great idea. Can you post some pics of your mod?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Bolting the stakes to the bedsides is what keeps the back window opening square. I left mine in place, but then I only removed the top, once a year.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Get rid of 'em! The engineers at Ford only put them there to get rid of extra steel at the factory!