• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hard top vs Soft top? All opinions welcome

nickeboy

I have a 1966 Bronco. The hard top was damaged beyond repair years ago. I currently use a 1973 hard top, but it doesn't fit well. Thinking of selling it and buying a soft top. Any opinions? I prefer the look of the hard top, but its pretty noisy and I live in California, so I haven't had it on in a few years.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
For me its a hard top and a/c.

The only soft top for me would be the BC Top but its not perfect....closest thing to perfect though.

Nothing Special

Soft top, all the way, in my opinion. I'm in Minnesota, and I don't drive it in the winter (salt), so I'm not too worried about warmth. In the summer the soft top up makes it an almost practical daily driver, and down makes it a fun toy, with only 5 minutes to switch from one to the other.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’m in SoCal also. I sold my hard top a few years ago with no regrets. Mines a daily driver, the soft top is only on 3 months out of the year. The rest of the time is just a Bikini top. I recently sold my doors also. They’ve been off for the last 5 years now. I’m happy with the soft doors. I prefer no doors out on the trail, running soft doors makes it easy to R&R when away from home.

Mark

Attachments

• 508FCE39-4A27-4F08-813E-DC5A1E38ADA5.jpg
    508FCE39-4A27-4F08-813E-DC5A1E38ADA5.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 263

Jakedog

I've been running mine without doors for almost 2 years. I don't have a soft top yet, but I'm able to park mine in the garage.
When I do get a soft top I'm getting the bestop with the half doors and the inserts from wild horses.
I say go soft top and enjoy the open air fun.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I can't remember the last time I ran the heavy, noisy hard top. All I have is a bikini on the 66 and the 72 is topless. I'm with bronconut. The only soft top I would bother with is a bc. I don't like the hardware and flimsy material of the others. I had a kayline/stc top tear and blow off on the 15 years back. I prefer the way it drives without the extra weight of the hard top and my kids can just jump over the bed rail to go in the back seat.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Soft top! I used to switch from hard top to soft top with the seasons. Then I got sick of it and about 7 years ago I stopped messing with the hard top. I have a Rampage top on one bronco and a old STC on my 67. Both do a good job of keeping you dry if it is raining and are easy to put up and down. The Rampage material is much heavier than the older tops and holds up well and doesn't flap in the wind. For the price you cant beat it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I’m in SoCal also. I sold my hard top a few years ago with no regrets. Mines a daily driver, the soft top is only on 3 months out of the year. The rest of the time is just a Bikini top. I recently sold my doors also. They’ve been off for the last 5 years now. I’m happy with the soft doors. I prefer no doors out on the trail, running soft doors makes it easy to R&R when away from home.

Mark

Listen to this man ^^^^^^ first hand experience w/the CA weather.

I'd say soft top as well, easier to get off / on and hit the road whenever you ready

laserfish

Put a Bestop on mine almost 15 years ago, just now showing its age after sitting in the Texas sun and never in the garage. It has been two years since the doors have been on, but I do run them in the winter (just not last winter). Love the soft top and won't be going back to the hard top. It just sits in the backyard.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
my first Bronco sum 20 years ago only had a soft top, I love the look of a hard and had to have one. A funny thing happened.... once bolted I it on , it never came off till the day I sold it. Not because I liked it so much but because it was a pain. My current Bronco came with a soft top , I must have forgotten what a joy it was to take on and off a hard top so the first thing I bought was another hard top. I bought it home and me and my son sat it on my truck and I took a step back and I told him it's coming back off. He asked Why ? I told him I'm not going through that every time I want to take the top off. I like my soft top , when it's down I keep the windows in a bag so I always have them in case I get caught in rain.
I love the look of a hard top but I love the convenience of being able to put the soft top on and off by myself

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Another thing to think about with the soft top. If you run a family cage you loose the fold down feature to the rear. Check for more info but I don't think any of em clear the rear bar when folding the hardware back. You can remove or roll up the sides but to go full convertible it is an issue. The bc has a fixed frame so it stays in place and you remove the canvas.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Another thing to think about with the soft top. If you run a family cage you loose the fold down feature to the rear. Check for more info but I don't think any of em clear the rear bar when folding the hardware back. You can remove or roll up the sides but to go full convertible it is an issue. The bc has a fixed frame so it stays in place and you remove the canvas.

When I added the WH rear family bar to my roll bar, I made sure the soft top bows cleared when folding.

toddsrods

I roll a hard top in the winter. Much nicer for snow wheeling than the Rampage. I bedlined my hardtop so it is much quieter inside than stock. You can bedline the inside for a textured interior and still paint the outside for a stock look.

I rock a Rampage soft top in the spring/fall, but despise it on the highway because the wind whip is so loud and annoying.

I think it is all personal preference and how you use it.

Nothing Special

Not really much of a problem, at least with my Bestop. The back bow will clear the cage, so I roll the top around that and lay it on the back of the tub. The main bow doesn't clear, but it just lays on the top of the cage.

Also I cut out the rivets that hold the main bow to the body and replaced them with quick-connect pins, so I can pull it, lay it flat and put the pins back in. but having the main bow lay on the cage is such a small issue that I usually just do that.

80-dsc_2450_63d3f6a8046ea116bac4e2cc56fc20760ca26da0.jpg

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Soft top for me. I have a custom made cage made locally that fits so the soft top bows can fold down.

If I were to have a Hard Top, it would have to be insulated so not to sound like you are inside a Tin Can.

Action

Me.....I love my hard top and I live in California.....Tried topless just wasn't for me.
Jack

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Soft top here. Old hardtop was noisy and oil canned and just didn't like it.
Only drive it in the summer though...

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
My doors haven't been on since I bought my bronco. I just use a bikini top over my family cage. I have a hardtop but probably not going back on at this point. Winters aren't horrible where I am so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
OP
OP
nickeboy

nickeboy

Wow, great replies all around. Based on replies I am going to sell my Hard top and buy a soft top. It hasn't been on in years and it isn't the right fit anyway. It looks as if BC top is the way to go. Thank you all.