• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone tried doing this yet ???

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
I have been wanting to try this for awhile but since I dont have my front cage in yet I havent tried it yet . Anyway I am thinking of fitting a overhead console like this into the rollcage between the seats .
Have any of you tried this yet ?? if you have any PICTURES they would be great !!

Attachments

• da_1_b.jpg
    da_1_b.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 2b_1_b.jpg
    2b_1_b.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
Im just gonna have the shop that installs and customizes my cage kit make a piece of sheet metal that will fit between the spreaders and fit everything in there. That would look awesome though! Good luck on it.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Make sure you waterproof that sucker if it's going to get exposed to the elements. Typically, overhead consoles in today's vehicles are designed in a "water-free" area of the vehicle and typically don't receive the same type of waterproofing treatment of some other interior components (like window switches and motors.) I'd get some of that shrink tubing with adhesive on the inside and seal off all of the wires prior to installation.

OP
OP
brixter

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
I have been thinking about how I would waterproof it myself . I think I would weld in some spreader bars of some sort and some sheet metal in between . The only electronics I plan on having is a dome lamp and clock or if I can find one with a compass that would be sweet .
The hard part is finding one to fit and is straight without too much of a curve as too look right .

OP
OP
brixter

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
yes they will work on broncos , and a few guys here have them . I just think they look a little plain though . I dont have any plans on putting in a CB radio or stereo up there either .I just want some lights and small storage space .

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
brixter said:
I have been thinking about how I would waterproof it myself . I think I would weld in some spreader bars of some sort and some sheet metal in between . The only electronics I plan on having is a dome lamp and clock or if I can find one with a compass that would be sweet .
The hard part is finding one to fit and is straight without too much of a curve as too look right .

There are quite a few vehicles out there with lights and compasses in the rear view mirror. If you did that, you'd only have to run wiring into the windshield frame, not up to the cage.

I would make an enclosed box, then attach the overhead console to the bottom side of the box. Take a look at how the console mates into the donor vehicle to get an idea of the attachment method. (Typically there are small plastic hooks along the front edge, then a couple of screws inside the domelamp housing, once you install the clear lenses, you might not have any visible fasteners.) Seam seal the box from the inside as much as you can before you attach the bottom side of the box.