• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Head Gasket differences

Classic69Bronco

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Is there a difference between 351w and 302 head gaskets? I recently swapped my stock 302 heads with P heads. I am noticeing what seems to be coolant, blowing from the left and right exhaust(dual exhaust, no crossover). Things i know: i didnt have the leakage before the swap, the gaskets are installed correctly but are from a 351w rebuild kit, bolts torqued in steps to proper ft/lbs and in proper tightening seq. Could the water passages be different and the gaskets be causing coolant to be leaking into the cylinders? I am thinking this might be the case since i am blowing coolant out both sides with no crossover. Any ideas?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I'll be waiting to see what others have to say too. Generally, the 351 and 302 can use the same gasket, within certain categories, but I don't know about the P heads themselves, as some listings I just looked up (Mr Gasket) stopped at '96. Just before the P came out.

Sorry to hear about the leak too, after all that work. Sucks.

Paul

OP
OP
C

Classic69Bronco

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
I dont think the p heads are the issue, leaning more towards a diff between 302 and 351 gaskets. But thanks for your response DD.

Some additional info, the 302 is a 69 and the rebuild kit is for my 84 351w HO E4AE-6015-FA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Classic69Bronco

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Leaking intake gaskets?

Junky, you got me thinking. I just read on a different forum where a guy was wanting to put 302 heads on a 351w. Everyone was pretty much trying to talk him out of it, but one guy warned that if he did do the swap, to use 351w specific intake gaskets because the water passages would not line up properly.

So, you guys are telling me that while the head gaskets might be the same, this guy is saying that the intakes gasket might differ.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Head gaskets are the same. Intake gaskets are different even among 302 heads. Usually you need to run intake gaskets for the year of the heads you have or basically if they are EFI heads you'll need EFI intake gaskets or if you have carbed heads then early style gaskets need to be used. As its common to get coolant leaks when the gaskets are not for the year of the heads as the EFI heads have slightly different water ports and tend to leak when early style gaskets are used.
Your probably sucking coolent through the intake and then its going out the exhuast.