• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

head lights

Tbaker

Loc.
TRION GA.
i have a 1975 ford bronco when i have the head lights on and hit the dimer switch the lights go out on high beam. replaced the dimer switch and the lights still go out on high beam low beam works fine as do all the other lights brakes lights running lights etc. could both head lights be bad on high beam. dimer switch was cheapest place to start.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I would replace the light switch too I think I change mine with my dimmmer and all has been fine for years

OP
OP
T

Tbaker

Loc.
TRION GA.
can you get a head light switch at a parts store or do you have to go throught a bronco supplier such as TOM,S

jsnouffer

Contributor
You should be able to pick one up at your local part store.

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
don't be a parts changer!!do some testing to see if it is a wiring issue or bad lamps.it still may be a switch but learn to test.get a volt meter and test lamp and check it out before you throw money at it.not trying to be a jerk,but you need to learn to test.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
High beam indicator will still work if headlights are burnt out and voltage is good. If indicator doesn't work, voltage may not be good.

A common problem with the high beams is the thermal breaker built into the headlight switch. It doesn't handle the higher current of the high beams very well. If this is your problem, think about adding some relays.

OP
OP
T

Tbaker

Loc.
TRION GA.
the guy at auto zone showed me how to check the bulbs for high and low beam going to check now but picked up a light switch just in case only one anyone had in my town. he used some jumper cables in the store on a battery and a light bulb to show me how to check if the bulbs are bad.

OP
OP
T

Tbaker

Loc.
TRION GA.
what now put new dimer and light switch in and high beam still will not work when you hit the dimer switch. check the bulbs and they are both good on high and low beam. i am new to some of this stuff would like to get head ligths working right. all other lights work fine

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Better check to make sure that you're getting power to the wires at the headlights. Obviously you're getting it on the low beam wires, so you need to check the high-beam wires.
It wouldn't normally be the main headlight switch if you have power to the low-beams.
Check the connections down at the dimmer switch. They get old too, sitting on the floor like that.
How did you test to find out the highs are working? Run a jumper wire from the battery you said? If so, then in my mind, that says you're not getting power through the wires. Having it happen to both sides is unusual, so I'd look more towards the wires and connector between the dimmer and the firewall.

Good luck.

Paul

knack

Contributor
High beam indicator will still work if headlights are burnt out and voltage is good. If indicator doesn't work, voltage may not be good.

A common problem with the high beams is the thermal breaker built into the headlight switch. It doesn't handle the higher current of the high beams very well. If this is your problem, think about adding some relays.

X2 on the breaker. I had that problem with my last Bronco. Replaced the switch twice, then added relays. Stock headlamps, but I think corroded or dirty connectors in the old harness must have added enough resistance to keep popping the breaker.