• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers.. Really worth it??

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Not sure about the 302, but my 351C had a dramatic decrease in torque when I switched back to manifolds. I would be willing to bet much more than 3%. They were 1 5/8" tubes, most Cleveland headers are 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". I think the smaller tubes really increase low end. Some engines seem to prefer the better flow.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=feitctaj link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=15#msg136341 date=1053833286]
There is NO significant increase in power if you are running a stock motor. If you have a built motor, you can hope for a 3% increase in power. Headers sound cooler. Manifolds are easier to install and take up less space in the rig. If cool is worth money to you then have ater.Long may you run!
[/quote]

Could you post some dyno data to back up this claim? I would bet that the dyno data would reveal a different story on most motors.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=15#msg136360 date=1053844206]
[quote author=feitctaj link=board=5;threadid=17807;start=15#msg136341 date=1053833286]
There is NO significant increase in power if you are running a stock motor. If you have a built motor, you can hope for a 3% increase in power. Headers sound cooler. Manifolds are easier to install and take up less space in the rig. If cool is worth money to you then have ater.Long may you run!
[/quote]

Could you post some dyno data to back up this claim? I would bet that the dyno data would reveal a different story on most motors.
[/quote]
I do not have the info , yet the folks that I have talked to AT the dyno shop have said that it is Not Significant alone without other mods.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
OK, this issue has been beaten up over and over on this board over the years. Here is only ONE article of which you can probably find 200 like it. Real numbers, on a dyno with both close to stock and modified engines. (sorry, this article has chebbys) The motors Always see an added benefit from the use of headers. Walk into any race shop or serious motor shop and they will show you their pile of stock manifolds somewhere out back.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/148_0303_bolt/