• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Flap

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't take a great picture before I pulled my Bronco apart. Can anyone please tell me the correct way to install the flaps that cover the back of the headlights? It appears that they go under the lip on the core support with the pins pushing up, but how far over towards the fenders and where does the other end go? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpg
    IMG_4697.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 83
  • flap.jpg
    flap.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 113

Rumcustom

Here you go. Let me know if you need any other measurements. They go in underneath the rad support and retainers snap up through. The front of the flap just sticks underneath the lip of the grill.

Attachments

• 3CD01B7A-A46A-4D3F-8D8C-E93C36ECCBEB.jpg
    3CD01B7A-A46A-4D3F-8D8C-E93C36ECCBEB.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 147
  • A0148AC1-B11D-481D-A13A-64397068296D.jpg
    A0148AC1-B11D-481D-A13A-64397068296D.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here you go. Let me know if you need any other measurements. They go in underneath the rad support and retainers snap up through. The front of the flap just sticks underneath the lip of the grill.

Thank you sir! I had to replace the core support so there are no old holes. Nice Bronco color ;D

Rumcustom

Thank you sir! I had to replace the core support so there are no old holes. Nice Bronco color ;D

Thank you. It’s a 72 painted 69 Camaro Hugger Orange. Hence the Bronco name, The Orange Blossom Special. Entirely built by me over a 2 year period about 18 years ago. Currently upgrading to ‘76 axles with 4 wheel disc brakes, 31 spline rear axles, Strange 3rd member, increasing the lift a bit.... the list goes on. Thanks.

T-7ToNewOldB

So my question. If you use marine sealed connectors (shrink plus adhesive) are these even really of value? trying to figure out what they really do.

Thanks for the photo though, I also had no idea where they went, or as noted above why they went. . .

Last edited:

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
So my question. If you use marine sealed connectors (shrink plus adhesive) are these even really of value? trying to figure out what they really do.

Thanks or the photo though, I also had no idea where they went, or as noted above why they went. . .
No you don't need them but they look nice. I have the same setup that you're describing and have never had those flaps, also haven't had a water/corrosion issue.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Interesting...

I have seen these flaps, water deflector for hot headlights/glass, mounted both ways.

I fact my 67 oringinally had metal clips on them so that screws were used to hold the flap on through those two holes. They were crusty enough that I believed they were factory and did the same on the replacements.

OP
OP
AZ73

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting...

I have seen these flaps, water deflector for hot headlights/glass, mounted both ways.

I fact my 67 oringinally had metal clips on them so that screws were used to hold the flap on through those two holes. They were crusty enough that I believed they were factory and did the same on the replacements.

I believe you are correct. They are to protect the hot glass on the back of the headlight from sudden cold water, not so much to protect the connectors. They're "Headlight splash guards" The front glass is much thicker and at less risk of cracking from sudden temp changes. There are better ways to protect the connection than from a flap mounted above it.

Last edited:

T-7ToNewOldB

Had a bunch of old cars. Plenty of cracked headlights, none from water. But who knows. big world.