• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heat torture cooling system test... Exploder mech vrs Tauras electric fans...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Go Volvo as they are easier to install.
Get the OE relays as they seem to hold up much better than 90% of the aftermarket ones!!! I suppose a quality marine grade relay setup would be comparable

BroncoLee

Loc.
Broken Arrow, OK
It’s been a while since I looked at them, but I pulled a Volvo fan from a salvage yard, complete with relays for $40 a couple of years ago. I liked the Volvo fan because the shroud was more symmetrical, I believe, and I could easily remove it and make my own shroud if I wanted.

Supposedly they have the same motor, but the fan blades can be shaped differently. I think the curved blades work better than the straight ones (more

Go Volvo as they are easier to install.
Get the OE relays as they seem to hold up much better than 90% of the aftermarket ones!!! I suppose a quality marine grade relay setup would be comparable
Will the Volvo fan fit with a v belt setup or will it have issues with the pulleys?

hossbronco

Contributor
Will the Volvo fan fit with a v belt setup or will it have issues with the pulleys?
My Volvo fan is about 3” from fan motor to the shroud it screws into. The shroud Is another 3.5” thick, so depending on how much room you have you may have to make a smaller shroud.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks pretty healthy. Does it give a dimension on how thick/deep it is? I did not see it.
That’s always the big question with Broncos.

ZOSO

That looks pretty healthy. Does it give a dimension on how thick/deep it is? I did not see it.
That’s always the big question with Broncos.
2.7" depth. A lot of the 3-5khp drag and drive guys run these. Seem to work well. Just $500 with controller is tough to do.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Looks decent for sure! Feedback if you get it would be great. We used to rebuild an engine for $500, now we buy a fan for that price! :(

Key will be durability compared to OE. OE has to last 100K miles for warranty replacement costs and aftermarket has to last a year maybe with 1,000-5,000 (or less) miles for 95% of purchasers.

The key is brushless motor (more efficient & less amperage), fan pitch for pulling monster air and dimensions for fitement..

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Camaro and Mercedes have a couple very slim, high cfm, brushless fans.

Have a couple guys I know running them with 408 and 427 strokers and no issues- even with cheap Champion rad's!

ZOSO

Ok time for some nerd stuff. Curious about CFM's so I measured my metal explorer fan. Full shroud. On what I believe to be locked clutch. Idle(750rpm) I measured 1425cfm average. That is in front of the radiator through a 2.75" core. Unsure of fins per inch or tube size. Radiator is a broncohut extreme oversized. At a high idle ~1800rpm I measured around 3200cfm. I will measure my buddies camaro electric fan and see what kinda cfm it pulls. His radiator is the same thickness so it'll be close enough.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That sounds good.

What year camaro and engine?

ZOSO

Ok measured airflow of the listed camaro fan noted above. At full speed through a 2.5" core full shroud it measured right at 4k cfm. Pretty impressive for a single electric fan.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, waiting to ask the same question... I can't begin to understand how cfm could be measured without a cool test bench and shroud.

ZOSO

I measured the core size. Entered those specs into my anemometer and measured wind speed. It calculates out CFM for me. These tests were done on the face of the radiator core. Not through the grille. I took 5 measurements around the face of the radiator and averaged them.

May not be super scientific but it gives a general idea of how much air flow there is.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
A LOT more scientific than "it sucks so hard it holds a business card against the grill"..."data" !! lol