• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help finding oil leak.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Well I cranked up the bronco last night and noticed a decent bit of oil on the ground after. It concerns me because its dripping down from the bell housing. Im thinking it could be the oil pan or valve cover (I hope). But im not sure. Any tricks on hunting it down?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Sounds like a rear main seal...If valve cover you should be able to trace that down.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Sounds like a rear main seal...valve cover you should be able to trace that down.

Thats what im worried abt. The motors a fresh built 351w .030 over with the one piece seal. Im a lil concerned the transmission may have damaged it after some reading I was doing.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
If it's leaking that much you should be able to see it drip after you shut off hot motor.

Also I had a bad leak like that once n it was the valve cover n the rear intake combined.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Im a lil concerned the transmission may have damaged it after some reading I was doing.
Don't read too much into what you've been reading...

There's a couple places that oil could be coming from if it looks like it's dripping off the bellhousing. It could be leaking somewhere across the rear of the intake manifold. That's where everyone suggests using a big bead of RTV rather than the cork gasket. It could be the valve covers. It could be the oil pan. It could be the rear main seal. It could be the oil galley plugs in the back of the block.

Clean the back of the engine real good using a degreaser. Run the engine a bit, then feel around all the external places I mentioned.

Since you're concerned about the stuff you've read lately, you must have a C4 or other auto tranny. There should be a cover you can remove to gain access to the torque converter. You can remove that, and feel around inside, to find if it's a leak in the rear of the block.

Did you put the engine together? Mosts rebuilders will tap the oil galley plugs for a pipe thread plug, rather than the press-in type.

OP
OP
Lmfp

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
I didnt think abt the valley on the intake. I had to pull it once already because of a bad intake gasket... that might be it. Ill take a look there when I get home. I had the valve cover leak and it was pretty easy to find. Just doesnt seem like it this time. Could be wrong though. And yes I have a c4. Reason im worried abt it is because I just had it rebuilt and the shop completely effed it up...

PaveBronco

Have you checked the oil pan bolts to make sure they're not loose....or too tight? if its a fresh build they may have loosened up.