• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help grinding noise: hub? spline?

friar93

Loc.
BOSTON
Ive got a grinding feeling/noise in the front.....stock '71 Sport.

I noticed theres a good amount of play in the splines of both fronts(3/8" which I can move back and forth easily). how much play -if any- should there be?

It was suggested I replace the hub assemblies....what do you think?

PS I took it on the highway at 50-60 mph today and something seems to 'catch' and the grinding will go away and then come back every 30 seconds or so.....

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you either have a loose wheel bearing or one going/is bad. could also be a brake shoe grabbing

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
The axle shaft itself will have play in it normally, but it wount be turning when in 2wd. So unless you are driving on the road with hubs locked, the noise is likely wheel bearings.

OP
OP
friar93

friar93

Loc.
BOSTON
definitely not locked....first thing i double checked....I can turn the shaft freely by hand.

anything that 'catches' only seems to happen at higher speeds. otherwise I just get a consistent grinding. it changes noise when i turn one way or the other but comes right back.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
definitely not locked....first thing i double checked....I can turn the shaft freely by hand.

anything that 'catches' only seems to happen at higher speeds. otherwise I just get a consistent grinding. it changes noise when i turn one way or the other but comes right back.

If you push back and forth on the side wall of the tire, can you feel a clunk?
If so, replace the wheel bearings.
If the inner races fall right out of the hub, get a new hub (don't ask how I know this).