• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help ROUGH RIDE!- Need Opinion on Springs

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
I am in major need of some new shocks and am leaning towards the 5100's. I have a 3.5in Rancho lift with dual shocks up front and single's in the rear. I am having a hard time finding the correct part # for the 5100's.

Also I HATE my current suspension the RANCHO 9000's + the rancho springs up front are like riding on bricks!! Will just replacing the shocks with the Bilstein 5100's make the differnce I am looking for.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Cant help you with the blistens but the rancho springs are your problem you should be able to get the ride you want with the 9000's I'm guessing its way to rough for you. I dont think rancho puts as much engineering into its springs as it does its shocks I would get new springs. I've heard a lot of stories on the ranchos horrible ride and not only on bronco's

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
Re: Help - Which Bilstein 5100's for my EB? + questions.

jeev said:
I am in major need of some new shocks and am leaning towards the 5100's. I have a 3.5in Rancho lift with dual shocks up front and single's in the rear. I am having a hard time finding the correct part # for the 5100's.

Also I HATE my current suspension the RANCHO 9000's + the rancho springs up front are like riding on bricks!! Will just replacing the shocks with the Bilstein 5100's make the differnce I am looking for.

I was thinking BC or Duff Springs - Do you reccomend one over the other? Also I am hoping that I can just swap out the springs with out causing ride hight difference between the rear and the front.

CodeeB

Loc.
Atlanta
I'm running 3.5 B. C. Broncos springs with nationals in the rear. I also have dual Rancho 9000s front and rear. My 71 rides and handles very well on the street. I'll say that the springs are your problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'll let you know when I get my BC springs they are in the mail right now cant wait have skyjacker soft rides right now good ride but I cracked a leaf so what better excuse to get new springs

74ranger

Loc.
wilkeson, washington
springs are definately the problem just replaced mine with duffs, the ride is awesome ;D i imagine that bc's coils are just as good. personal preferance.

anyone want a free set of 3" ranchos just pay shipping;D %)

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
Okay - So Rancho does not make 3.5in front springs? That means I have the 3in right? Well All I seen at Duffs and BC are 3.5in coils. I am worried that if I just swap out the springs my front will be .5 higher than the rear?... My rear leafs are in great condition adn i would like to keep them. Also I am leaning towards Duffs only because they are blue and so is my EB. Any more feedback? Thanks!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You don't need a spring compressor to install just jack up the frame a hilift helps get it up high enough the axle with drop down enough to get the spring out you may have to push down an the axle housing but it will come out.
Call B.C bronco's about springs chuck has more than what you see on the site or he can atleast recommend something that will fit you may have to go with 2.5 in the front maybe his winch springs are a little higher ask him

74ranger

Loc.
wilkeson, washington
i expected mine to sit higher also, it does not. the install is easy, took me about four hours by myself. you do need a spring compressor, rented one for $8. the ride is so much better that the ranchos. oh yeah do follow the instructions, i tried to take a shortcut and it didn't work;D

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
I have NEVER used a spring compressor on a Bronco front end, it is just not needed. I just use some tall home made jack stands on the front of the frame, unbolt the springs, and they come right outn (push down on the axle if they won't). When your just replacing the springs there is no need to diconnect the rear of the radius arms either. For insallation just reverse the process. The entire process should only take about thirty minutes to an hour to switch them out.

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
74ranger said:
i expected mine to sit higher also, it does not. the install is easy, took me about four hours by myself. you do need a spring compressor, rented one for $8. the ride is so much better that the ranchos. oh yeah do follow the instructions, i tried to take a shortcut and it didn't work;D

Which springs did you go with?

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
I have the Duff 3.5 with the dual shocks.IMO dont waste your money on the 4 extra shocks.I had to take one off each corner to get a decent ride.I dont rock climb tho.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Wildturkey said:
I have the Duff 3.5 with the dual shocks.IMO dont waste your money on the 4 extra shocks.I had to take one off each corner to get a decent ride.I dont rock climb tho.
You wouldn't want duals for rocks either.....I've got single 9000x's with inboard shocks in rear and F-250 mounts in front. I went the extra mile and installed the in cab controller and it works great. Firm them up for curves or higher speed fire trails and loosen them all the way for slow trails. (BC springs)

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
Okay - I ordered 3.5in springs from Chuck at BC. I am also going to order 4 Bilstein 5100 and only run two shocks up front instead of 4. As discussed in other posts and as per Chuck you dont need duals now days beacuse the quality and heat resistance of the modern shocks are much better. I decided to wait on the rear leafs due to cash flow - I am currently runnign stock leafs with an add-a-leaf. With my new front springs I may be a little higher up front but I would rather have the front set up the way I want it and deal with a little ride height difference until next month when I have the $ to do the rear. I will keep you all posted on the difference!! Thanks!