• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help - Stuck replacing my Rear axle seal (picts)

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
I removed the axle and was expecting the seal to come out with it but it did not. Here is a pic of where the seal is. Is this normal? What is the best way to get it out without breaking something? Can I wack it with a BFH and screwdriver or should I pull it out? Slide hammer maybe? The red marking is what I think is the seal.

Seal%201.JPG

Here is the axle and exactly how it came out with the bearing attached but not the seal ???

Shaft%201.JPG

Shaft%202.JPG

Thanks!! ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
yep thats it the seal stays in the housing if you have a slide hammer use it I usually use a hammer and screw driver to get it out

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
I used a slide hammer. You could use somthing like a threaded rod with a big washer nutted to the end and kinda make a crude slide hammer. Or if you have a large hook...? You are on the right track tho. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
[quote author=Alex link=board=5;threadid=20113;start=0#msg154507 date=1058392884]
I used a slide hammer. You could use somthing like a threaded rod with a big washer nutted to the end and kinda make a crude slide hammer. Or if you have a large hook...? You are on the right track tho. Good luck.
[/quote]

To get it out is it better to push in (towards the housing) or pull it out or does it matter? I just dont want to break anything :-

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
pulling out would be easier I dont remember exactly but I'm sure there is a lip that stops the seal from going in any farther I dont think you will mess anything up I've always used a screwdriver and hammer don't own a slide hammer

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use a hooked pry bar to pull it. When replacing it put a little silicone on the outside and use a piece of large pipe or really big socket. Try to not put it in exactly the same place as the old one so the seal doesnt ride in the old gruve in the axle. grease the seal area on the axle before installing the axle. While you are at it do the other side too. It will be in as bad a shape and since you had to drag everything out it will take you less than another hour to do it up right.

OP
OP
J

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=20113;start=0#msg154533 date=1058396759]
I use a hooked pry bar to pull it. When replacing it put a little silicone on the outside and use a piece of large pipe or really big socket. Try to not put it in exactly the same place as the old one so the seal doesnt ride in the old gruve in the axle. grease the seal area on the axle before installing the axle. While you are at it do the other side too. It will be in as bad a shape and since you had to drag everything out it will take you less than another hour to do it up right.
[/quote]

Thanks - Yea since I am in there I am going to do both Seals, bearings, gaskets, and new drums and shoes. Why not do it all the parts are cheap ;D :- ;)