• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! timing chain hitting cover?

T4x4R

Contributor
All,

trying to install the serpentine. got all the way down to the explorer timing chain cover, and now my timing chain is hitting the inside not allowing the cover to seat. Theres about 1/8" of a gap.

Anyone run into this? Any solutions?

TR

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you remove the old fuel pump eccentric from the old cam gear? If not, there's your problem.

It is possible for there to be interference with the gears and chain themselves, but so far that's been a rare occurence and I don't think I've ever heard of it happening with the Explorer cover. But the fuel pump eccentric issue comes up all the time.

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Some timing gear bolt heads and washers are too thick to fit under the explorer cover. You can grind down the head of the bolt to get clearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As others have stated, probably the bolt, not the chain itself. Only you can confirm what is actually hitting.

There are 2 different gear thicknesses as well. But I believe both will clear the Explorer timing cover.

And as already mentioned, you did remove the fuel pump eccentric? Make sure you leave a large enough washer to at least partially cover the dowel pin. If that falls out there will be a world of hurt going on as you loose the synchronizing between the pistons going up and down and when the valves open and close.

OP
OP
T

T4x4R

Contributor
thank you. that was my error. fuel pump centric. doh