• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Very hard to crank after hot!

TJ.Harry

Ok. First the specs:

1972 Bronco
302 C4 automatic
Changed original fuel tank to 23 gallon
Changed to a smaller barrel type air cleaner (tried the larger but wouldn't fit)
Ran pretty good for about a year after install (runs better in cold weather)

So basically I'm having trouble cranking the bronco after it's been running for a while. (For example I drive it out to get some food. Come back out to the parking lot after eating. Have a super hard time cranking it.) I basically have to pump the hell out of the gas and eventually it catches and cranks (sometimes takes so long to crank starts to smoke under the hood). Usually dies immediately and then cranks on the next try. I feel like I'm manually pumping the gas with the pedal all the way from the tank. It's also been having more and more trouble cranking even on a cold start now as well.

I don't know if it's effecting it but it has been running hot at times on really hot days when I run it a lot. Once it started steaming the radiator fluid when I was stuck in a drive thru after running hard a while on a really hot day. Pulled it off to the side, let it cool down, and it was fine after that.

I'm wondering if I have a fuel pump going out or some other problem I'm not even thinking of. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to get scared I'll be stranded somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
BAD FUEL PUMP

Mechanical pump? If it going bad its pumping while running then it sits hot fuel evaporates and hard starting until it finally gets fuel back to carb, and its barely pumping enough fuel to run forcing a lean fuel mix which is causing it to run hot, pump be the first thing Id check.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
BAD FUEL PUMP

Mechanical pump? If it going bad its pumping while running then it sits hot fuel evaporates and hard starting until it finally gets fuel back to carb, and its barely pumping enough fuel to run forcing a lean fuel mix which is causing it to run hot, pump be the first thing Id check.

X2, on what Nyles said. I would also check to make sure your timing is not too far advanced. Sounds like you could have a combo of both.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
JW we not to timin yet..........but I know that comes from your drag racin days!!!! "Run all ya can till it wont start hot!"

I skipped that because it ran fine for a year after he did the 23 tank.

And WE at the pre run had one from texas doing the same thing swapped him to a ele pump fired up ran great and cooled down.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
X3, and check you accelerator pump too. It should squirt a stream of fuel into the carb when you press the pedal. Of course it has to have fuel in the bowl already to do that.

OP
OP
T

TJ.Harry

Ok. That's along the lines I was thinking. I'm not quite sure if I have a mechanical or electric pump. That's one thing I've never worked on. Where can I find it and what do I need to do to replace it? I'm hoping that solves it outright and I don't have to start messing with the timing.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Driver side front of motor by the oil filter IF its a mech,....... if its ele umm umm somewhere between the carb and the tank.

Follow the fuel lines

Mech is easy 2 bolts 2 lines

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yall no fun, I cant youtube at work!!!!

In the video I posted, imagine a mechanical fuel pump leaking this.

fountain_zpssaaggqvl.jpg

OP
OP
T

TJ.Harry

I live in the Oak Mountain area out near Briarwood School and work downtown in Avondale. What about you?

77RHINO

I live over in Crestline area near Irondale, work down at 280/459 at the colonnade. I drive around that area alot though, I'll be lookin for ya!

doghows72

Bronco Guru
That video is too funny. If you still have that pump I could use another lawn sprinkler. lol

OP
OP
T

TJ.Harry

Dark grey, currently topless, 5.5" of lift and little baby mud tires atm. Can't miss me. ;)