• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with C4 not going into gear

Bucky66

I have a C4 in my '66 Bronco that was having leaking around the pan gasket. I opted to buy one of the large volume pans to get the flat ridged mounting surface and the larger volume since I'm running 37s. I dropped the old pan and put a new filter and the extension tube. Put in new oil and now when I try it put it in gear it does not even budge or move at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, probably the filter is not seated properly, or there is not enough fluid. I don't remember if the filter has to "snap in" or just bolts up.Also make sure the transfer case is in gear. By oil you mean Type F transmission fluid. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

The shift lever moves but no go. Yep I put in type f. I'll check the other things again. I'll check the transfer case is in gear. I didn't even think of that.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Did you get the Throttle Limit Valve and spring back in? I goes under the filter.

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

Thanks guys. I did see the valve and spring come out and I put them back in. I'm gonna drop the pan later today to recheck everything. I did make sure the transfer case was in gear. I hope to solve the mystery today.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
83c5af79d681650d4db53ff5748c559f.jpg

40-55

genthree

Recheck your fluid before you rip back into it. I did the same thing, filled it, started it, no movement. It took 2 more quarts to fill it back up after starting the engine. Then it worked great!!

OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

All good now. I wasn't giving enough time going through the gears. I went through all the gears a couple more times and the fluid level dropped. Ended up with putting another 1.5 quarts.

OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

Sorry I never got back but all is well. I did a couple more run through the gears and then needed another 1.5 quarts of fluid.