• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hey Guys Great Site ...i have a few questions

truecountry

Man yall have a great site here hats off ..
I once owned a 77 bronco and she was a fun..
I solded the bronco in 1992 and regretted it ever since ..I been wanting another for years and I found 2 yes 2 I have to buy one and get the other free both are rusty and one has title ..price is normal but the owner has a 1988 f150 302 efi aod 4x4 for a lil more say 500 runs drives a/c works shifts great but frame is cracked at steering box and has been repaired too much so I can get all 3 for say 2500...

What will work off the 88 f150 besides engine and trans efi wiring harness ..yes I want to keep it sd for now just have a driving any where rig ..I will being redoing frame and suspension as a fix what is rusty or worn out ….Im a diesel heavy equipment tech I know what will work and will not.. haven't rebuilt a bronco frame up im a welder and fabricator but its all big metal so body work will be touchy …………….Hats off to this site Im TC have a diesel problem ill help yall out or find someone who will

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey truecountry, welcome!
Unfortunately the EFI stuff from the truck will NOT work with the Bronco.
The engine is fine of course, as a Windsor bolts right in (roughly speaking) but the truck EFI intake is way too tall. It's been done, but the last one I saw did not have a hood on it.
At the very least you need body lift AND lots of custom hood work. Yep, it's that tall.

And many of the truck engines were Speed Density (SD) type, rather than Mass Air Flow (MAF) so are not happy with modifications that upset the computer. Easy enough to convert to MAF of course, but it takes a new harness and computer, plus a MAF meter and maybe another couple of sensors here or there. The MAF sensor though for sure.

So bottom line is don't spend too much extra on the truck. Sounds like you have a deal working overall, but you won't get as much as you think out of the truck.
Check the front hubs to make sure they're not the oddball auto-locking versions. If so, even the disc rotors and hubs might not be transferable to the EB's in a disc brake swap.

Paul

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Welcome Aboard TC. YES Good sight . wHILE THE MOTOR & AOD COULD SWAP OVE INT YOUR BRONCO . But that AOD is just unfriendly to Bronco & rebuilds . The next later model trans will be a better trans .
Welcome aboard & I may have to PM You some times . I have a 4BT in my 72 Bronco .

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if you have room to keep all 3 why not.
As mentioned, the 302 can be made to work with some bolt on parts. The wheels fit, and a long time ago I used F 150 mirrors and they were the best.
Besides, if you let people know that you have F150 parts for sale you will more than make your money back.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

truecountry

Hey truecountry, welcome!
Unfortunately the EFI stuff from the truck will NOT work with the Bronco.
The engine is fine of course, as a Windsor bolts right in (roughly speaking) but the truck EFI intake is way too tall. It's been done, but the last one I saw did not have a hood on it.
At the very least you need body lift AND lots of custom hood work. Yep, it's that tall.

And many of the truck engines were Speed Density (SD) type, rather than Mass Air Flow (MAF) so are not happy with modifications that upset the computer. Easy enough to convert to MAF of course, but it takes a new harness and computer, plus a MAF meter and maybe another couple of sensors here or there. The MAF sensor though for sure.

So bottom line is don't spend too much extra on the truck. Sounds like you have a deal working overall, but you won't get as much as you think out of the truck.
Check the front hubs to make sure they're not the oddball auto-locking versions. If so, even the disc rotors and hubs might not be transferable to the EB's in a disc brake swap.

Paul

Ok but a older mustang speed density intake and everything else would work also the trans is rebuilt with 15000 miles on it and was BUILT shift kit heavy duty guy showed me build sheet 2300 in rebuild and I know the speed shop that built it …yes I know selling to cheap after all this money spent but he wants it goneeeeeeeeeeee.lockout hub but if I remember correct nothing on 4x4 is same ….Im looking to get it running and lots of body work in cab ...

OP
OP
T

truecountry

Welcome Aboard TC. YES Good sight . wHILE THE MOTOR & AOD COULD SWAP OVE INT YOUR BRONCO . But that AOD is just unfriendly to Bronco & rebuilds . The next later model trans will be a better trans .
Welcome aboard & I may have to PM You some times . I have a 4BT in my 72 Bronco .

Bro pm me anytime they are simply diesels...get a water and fuel separator and fuel filter housings ..cummings injectors do not like water ..so take the extra time and add both filters in ..they are costly on parts I have some tools that you will need to have ill get pics of for injector timing etc...
Damn I have a e4od but its to big as I have read …..broncos have 4c 3 speed autos and are cooked

OP
OP
T

truecountry

Hi, if you have room to keep all 3 why not.
As mentioned, the 302 can be made to work with some bolt on parts. The wheels fit, and a long time ago I used F 150 mirrors and they were the best.
Besides, if you let people know that you have F150 parts for sale you will more than make your money back.
Good luck

Thanks..I have 21 acres so I got room and 3 sheds but I have 2 f150s here going to salvage yard no one here wants to buy parts ..one is 1992 302 efi e4od manual transfer case longbed ..and a wrecked no motor or trans 96 it was you move them u can have them deal ...96 nothing is there wiring under hood is gone in dash is bad I may 6.50 a 100 pounds for in scrape metal

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I used the 5.0 from an '88 van. Only thing useful was the block and crank. I think my builder even changed heads, everything Mustang.