• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hi Lift Jack

Bronco Maniac

So I am getting the new spare tire carrier from Duff's. I have a 3 1/2" lift and 33" tires. What length jack to get, 48"? Any recommendations on where the best place to buy? Accessories to purchase to go along with the jack? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Marty.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Get the 48". Also carry a ratchet strap to strap the axle to the frame when changing a tire. This way you don't have to lift the Bronco very high to get the tire off the ground. Great tool but they can be dangerous.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 48" and a 60" jack in the shop.

I kind of like the 60" so you have more leverage above the jacking mechanism when you get to lifting very high. Harder to carry though.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also like the 60", except for the storage part so look at where and how you will mount it.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
My garage door has a limit, so mine is the shorter one.

db2a0d036c405df1589810d6002152e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I call them "Death Jacks" they can kill you without careful use, but are handy and have lots of uses other than just jacking up your vehicle, I've even used them as a winch. I own several up to 60" in length. The one in the bronco trimmed down to 42" to fit in the allocated space. I second carrying a ratchet strap, less jacking is safer jacking.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Like a gun, a dangerous tool that must be used correctly. If not.....
And like Yeller said, we use ours on farm for everything but jacking.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
An aluminum floor jack with a skid plate is quicker, easier and safer imo
df0400d43b012b597d33f65bfa0d61e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
AKA Widow Makers. I have one in the Bronco as well as one in my 75 Highboy. They come in handy for numerous things, but I also carry a small (3 ton) bottle jack (Bronco) and a cheap 2.5 ton floor jack (truck) for tire changes. IMO it's much safer than using a High Lift on a bumper that's 2 feet off the ground. I have used the High Lift maybe 6 times, it only worked once without having to let it down and re-position the base.
Mark.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Carry a can of wd-40 if you want it to work when you need it. And a pair of good leather gloves to protect your hands when you hand gets pinched between the jack and the truck. Hold the jack handle firmly while jacking and make sure you hear every pin click before releasing the handle or you going to see stars. Bolt tht sucker down in an emergency you dont want a collision with it. There is never a safe place to use it but when you need it not much of anything else will help you.

Nothing Special

I have a couple of 48" Hi-Lift jacks. One is up at the cabin and gets used constantly when cutting up downed trees, or adjusting the dock, or... The other is at home and is used as a trailer tongue jack most often, but also goes 'wheeling with me. I've never used one to change a tire, and I doubt I ever would. I prefer to keep the tires on any time a vehicle is raised on a Hi-Lift (it limits how far the vehicle can fall). But it's incredibly useful for getting a rock under a tire, or tipping the vehicle sideways to reposition it for another attempt at something. I don't use it as much now that I have a winch, but it's still a great recovery resource to have available.

knack

Contributor
I've used one a lot over the years. Need to be careful with them, for sure. But they work great in a lot of situations. Have used mine as a winch too. Pretty tedious, but gets the job done when nothing else is available.

Mounted mine to the roll bar. Just fits but I need to carry the top attachment/loop/thing separately to fit the space behind the half cab bulkhead.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 56