• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High pressure Power steering hose leak

loomis97

I recently purchased a new Delphi power steering pump from WH Broncos. I had called in and asked for the hoses and pump and the tech put the order in over the phone. My problem is that I'm not sure if I got the right hose due to the massive leak it has out of the hose at the gear box. Could the flare be incorrect? It screws down as far as it can but it doesn't seems to seal up and I can still spin the hose back and forth. It's not leaking around the threads but coming out of the middle where the hose goes through the threaded part that screws into the gear box.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey loomis. Sorry you're having such a problem. And a messy one too it sounds like!

If it's leaking down at the box, perhaps you don't have the type of box that was expected when you ordered the parts?
Not that we can't make a mistake and send you the wrong part of course, but it's common for these things to have steering gearboxes swapped around over the years. So certainly worth checking.

If that's the case, then yes it could easily be possible for the threaded fitting to be incorrect. Different boxes often have different threads. And even some with the same size threaded hole can use a completely different type of sealed fitting. Some have a standard cone seat for an "inverted flare" to seal against. While others need an o-ring fitting to seal properly.

Can you send some pics in to WH (sales@wildhorses4x4.com) when you call it in? That way whoever is helping you out can see what you're dealing with and even pass the images around for others to look at. Maybe if one can't see exactly what the problem is, another person can.
And post some up here too for sure, so we can all see them. If you don't use an online image hosting site, you can e-mail them to me (or anyone with the yellow "contributor" beneath their username) and we can post them up for you.

Thanks. Good luck.
And again, sorry you're having a bad time with some of our parts. But we'll get to the bottom of it I'm sure.

Paul

Eoth

Bronco Guru
WH will take care of you... Long and short is that once you tighten down that nut there should be no movement at all.

Broncomt

WH will take care of you... Long and short is that once you tighten down that nut there should be no movement at all.

Paul is correct that it may need o-ring or even a Teflon ring. Those will move after tightening.

You can tear the Teflon ring if you over tighten it. Don't ask me how I know

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

loomis97

Hey loomis. Sorry you're having such a problem. And a messy one too it sounds like!

If it's leaking down at the box, perhaps you don't have the type of box that was expected when you ordered the parts?
Not that we can't make a mistake and send you the wrong part of course, but it's common for these things to have steering gearboxes swapped around over the years. So certainly worth checking.

If that's the case, then yes it could easily be possible for the threaded fitting to be incorrect. Different boxes often have different threads. And even some with the same size threaded hole can use a completely different type of sealed fitting. Some have a standard cone seat for an "inverted flare" to seal against. While others need an o-ring fitting to seal properly.

Can you send some pics in to WH (sales@wildhorses4x4.com) when you call it in? That way whoever is helping you out can see what you're dealing with and even pass the images around for others to look at. Maybe if one can't see exactly what the problem is, another person can.
And post some up here too for sure, so we can all see them. If you don't use an online image hosting site, you can e-mail them to me (or anyone with the yellow "contributor" beneath their username) and we can post them up for you.

Thanks. Good luck.
And again, sorry you're having a bad time with some of our parts. But we'll get to the bottom of it I'm sure.

Paul

I'm not hung up over it just want to get it fixed. I will take some pictures of the box and send them once I get home. I order all my parts through you guys due to the service and quality parts I'm sure we will get it figured out.

Thanks,
Jeremy