• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Carb help

OP
OP
bronconate68

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I just got off the phone with Ricky at Holley. He stated that I could never fix the stumble with the Avenger 770 cfm because this carb is just to big and designed for all out performance on ultra big block applications. He is going to swap me this carb for the Off-Road Avenger 670 cfm.

He stated that there is misinformation on the Holley site leading guys like me to purchase the Off-Road Avenger 770. He also stated that modifications have been attempted on the O.R.A 770 to work on smaller motors but he didn't know anyone that made it work successfully.

I'm good with swap.

baddad457

Must be bigger than a 770 then if it doesn't work on a 408. Should be perfectly sized on a 408. I ran 750's on 390's all the time and they never had issues like this. Last one I had was on an Explorer 5.0 and it ran fine too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds about like the holley techs. I dont think half of them know squat about carbs. Just about any carb can be tuned to run on a engine. while some are not the best choice they can still be made to run. Heck holley recommends nothing less than a 750 on a 408 if you plan on running up to 6000 RPM. For 5000 rpm and under then you get back into the 600 cfm and up carbs. So according to holley techs A 470 is to small for a 302 but a 770 is to big for a 408. guess they should just make nothing but the 670.

Overall I think you will be happy with the 670 tho.