• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood shocks questions... If you've got them please chime in, thanks!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
think i got a wh kit couple years ago for the fiber glass hood...but after looking at it, im worried about using it. it came with a epoxy so i can glue my hood bracket to the hood. anyone else have to do this?? does it hold up ok? i was thinking on adding more fiber glass and glassing some reinforcements to help support hood.

post some pics if you have a fiber glass hood with shocks please. another note...since my kits a couple years old...im sure the epoxy has a shelf life and probably no good now

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I got mine from a truck bed hard cover. Mounted them directly to the stock cross brace and back at the firewall end of the fender on both sides. No hood bending issues so far and had them on two broncos over about 10 years. I did however have to brace the fender mounting location

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
think i got a wh kit couple years ago for the fiber glass hood...but after looking at it, im worried about using it. it came with a epoxy so i can glue my hood bracket to the hood. anyone else have to do this?? does it hold up ok? i was thinking on adding more fiber glass and glassing some reinforcements to help support hood.

post some pics if you have a fiber glass hood with shocks please. another note...since my kits a couple years old...im sure the epoxy has a shelf life and probably no good now

No pics handy at the moment but I have the BC Broncos hood shocks with the supports glued to my hood. As I recall, it's a JB-Weld type 2-part material - maybe PC-7. I've had them on there for as long as they've sold them - probably 10-12 years.

It's held up extremely well except for the time when I forgot to put my hood pins in and the hood decided to lift up when I was driving down the freeway at 55 mph. That exceeded the bonding strength of the epoxy. I got some new supports from Chuck and some more epoxy and glued everything back together - still run the same hood too with just a few chips out of the glass.

Todd Z.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
Don't remember where mine came from but needed to replace the Stabilus shocks recently after four years. Not a good photo here.

Attachments

• 1968 Ford Bronco engine compartment.JPG
    1968 Ford Bronco engine compartment.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all of the input on this thread way back when.

SO I opened the hood tonight to check something and forgot how wonderful the hood shock kit from Duffs works, I LOVE IT!!!

BTW, the remote hood release kit from B.C. is also fantastic.

Anyway, thanks again for all the info on the hood shocks.

:cool:

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I have Chucks from BCB. The hood mounts were a flat piece of steel with a angle welded to it to mount the shock & you epoxy them on. Might work for a steel hood but there was no way it was working on my glass hood. I picked up a piece of thick aluminum angle at Lowes and made my own hood mounts. Way stronger that way and they bridged the hood to keep from putting a point load on it. The fender mounts fit perfect.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Got mine from a late model Nissan mini van rear hatch shocks.
mounts on the rear of the fender and on front of the hood.
got the hardware off the van. believe I paid 15 bucks for them both from the Ujerk yard.
bolted right on and have had no issues with them for several years (5 I believe)
got pics if your interested
TOFIC

soyen

Loc.
Sturgis
I put on the TBP hydrolic hood props on and haven't had any trouble with mine as of yet. best add on to date!

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
in addition to your hood struts and remote hood latch get a darn good pair of gloves because everything metal up front would be hot to the touch with an underhood fire.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
jw0747
Good suggestion. Got'm! Long leather welding gloves located next to the fire extinguisher, just incase.

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I have had Tom's struts on for a couple of years and they worked great and had no issues until last weekend. I was wheeling in the Sierras and had the hood up on the trail. When I went to put the hood down (with a friend helping), the hood buckled just in front of the mounting point on the driver side and just behind on the passenger side. Now I'll have to repair and reinforce the hood. Might look into the Duff kit for reinforcement.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
TDubya,

The brackets on the Duff kit are basically a long piece of 90degree angle iron x2, one for each side. I'm sorry your good taco'd on ya. At least it wasn't worse.