• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood Shocks - The BEST mod ever...

OP
OP
Hogback

Hogback

mine has the quick release on the bottom but not on the top (i forgot to rob them).
Saddleup: The ones i got i think would lift another 15 lbs on the hood. I think a lot depends on the placement of the top bracket as to how much it will lift: further back less lift and farther foward nore (although i know i didn't need to say that)

OP
OP
Hogback

Hogback

i mounted the bottom bracket on the fender drip rail with part of the mount going beside the air vent leaving the pivot attachment about 1/2" foward of the air vent. The bracket just so happened to match the width of the fender drip rail or whatever you call it. Then the top I had to run a piece of 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 1/8 angle from hood cross beam to to hood crossbeam with the contact point somewhere in the middle. These angle braces actually added rigidity to the hood!, normally the hood is a little shakey, that was another good point i forgot to include
I'm trying to remember what kind of car mine came off of, but both the bottom and top had quick disconnects. I think it was either a big buick or a pontiac, the latter i believe. It was GM :(

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
JaxLax said:
where did you get the bottom mounts?
the tops just look to be some plate metal bent to shape.
juuuuuuuuust wondering.... :D
An astute observation! on both counts, your eyes must be younger than mine.
The bottom mounts are the top studs of the van hatch all they are is threaded into the body. I got the nuts out of the metric bin of the bolt place (maintenance shop at work) and bolted them in.
They are also ball mounts that are removable, a little prying with a screwdriver and the shock pops right off. The shock then lie flat againest the hood when it is open all the way.
You can mount them higher up, this will open the hood wider.
The tops are the mounts on the shock. Took them off the van, put mount in vice, twisted it 90 degrees, voila!!! instant Bronco hood mount!! Popped two threaded inserts into the hood for each shock in the location shown and bolted them in.
These shocks are beefy!!! I would not doubt they would hold up a heavy hood. As it sits with my stock hood with the 351 cooling modification it will open the hood the second I pull the hood release (purchased from BCB of course) The rear hatch on the van with the shocks off I could barely lift, so the heavy hood is not going to be a problem in my opinion Anyone want a prop rod??

PS I also did the rear liftgate with a JY set works just as good. The liftgate shocks came off a Volvo if you can believe that.
TOFIC

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TOFIC said:
An astute observation! on both counts, your eyes must be younger than mine.
The bottom mounts are the top studs of the van hatch all they are is threaded into the body. I got the nuts out of the metric bin of the bolt place (maintenance shop at work) and bolted them in.
They are also ball mounts that are removable, a little prying with a screwdriver and the shock pops right off. The shock then lie flat againest the hood when it is open all the way.
You can mount them higher up, this will open the hood wider.
The tops are the mounts on the shock. Took them off the van, put mount in vice, twisted it 90 degrees, voila!!! instant Bronco hood mount!! Popped two threaded inserts into the hood for each shock in the location shown and bolted them in.
These shocks are beefy!!! I would not doubt they would hold up a heavy hood. As it sits with my stock hood with the 351 cooling modification it will open the hood the second I pull the hood release (purchased from BCB of course) The rear hatch on the van with the shocks off I could barely lift, so the heavy hood is not going to be a problem in my opinion Anyone want a prop rod??

PS I also did the rear liftgate with a JY set works just as good. The liftgate shocks came off a Volvo if you can believe that.
TOFIC
I would need to make some adjustments to the mounting to keep them from opening the hood without some assistance. That should just be a matter of changing the position though. I don't have a hood latch on mine so it is a safety matter for me. I use a set of hood pins instead. I want the weight to keep the hood down if I ever forget to pin it. I don't see that as an issue though as it will be easy to mount them in a position that will be neutral when it's closed.

OP
OP
Hogback

Hogback

some wanted some pics of how mine turned out

Attachments

• hoodshock.jpg
    hoodshock.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 65
  • hoodsho.jpg
    hoodsho.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 73