• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood Tach Blues

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
Hope this Bronco family can help me with another problem. Just got my 75 F-100 4X4 back from the body shop, new fenders, cab corners, complete paint job.. They did a nice job but my hood tach isn't working. It's an old Dixco hood tach. Of course they deny any wrongdoing, but it was working when it went in the shop and broke when it came out. My problem is they glued the tach housing to the hood, ran a bead of sealer around the edge, then painted. It looks beautiful but I now need to repair my tach. Has anyone worked on one of these hood tach units before? I'm hoping that I can remove the retaining nut from underneath the hood (will require cutting a larger hole in the webbing support of the hood to be able to work on removing the nut which obviously had a special tool to install) and remove the tach assembly from the front of the housing. I guess what I'm asking is, can the tach unit come out of the front of the housing without taking the whole assembly off the hood? If not, it looks like a nice paint job is going to get screwed up. Thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything about these old hood mounted tachs before I start tearing into things. Hope you can help. tater :(

OP
OP
L

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
Called him a couple days ago, he wasn't sure if I could get it out through the front, thought it might be possible but didn't know. If the tach assembly is secured to the housing with a lock nut, then the housing attached through the hood and held with the other nut I'm screwed, unless I could cut the hole on the underside of the hood large enough to remove any other retaining nut. Tachman also told me it would cost $250 to have the needle replaced/repaired in this tach, Man that's alot of $$$$ for repair. Sent some other e-mails out to shops to see if they handle the Dixco line. Thanks for the reply, I'm sick over this mess, something like this ruins what was a beautiful job on my truck. tater