• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn Wiring Upgrade

vtboy51

My horn only works on occasion and I've found the cause is a broken "metal stud" (circled in the pictured). I've found a replacement wiring harness that would replace these, but I am remembering a post a while back that discussed changing to a relay system.
Can someone one explain what my options are?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3791_Manual_Turn_Signal_Switch.jpg
    3791_Manual_Turn_Signal_Switch.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 39

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You need a new turn signal switch, that is what contains the spring loaded pins for the horn slip ring.

There are different steering columns. Mostly with and without hazard switch. But there are other variants as well. Column or auto, and even then there are still differences such as lighted or unlighted auto and different bearings used. So the columns are not all the same.

One of those differences is the different horn contacts. Single wire with relay, or two wire without relay. and that changed the back of the steering wheel as well.

Unless you want to get deep down the column rabbit hole, stick to what you have. You can run a relay on a non-relay horn system.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Steve, have you got enough room in your early diagrams (specifically the '72 I would think) to add an easy relay upgrade to the horn circuit?
This would simply include the usual Bosch type relay with the usual pin-out, but where the switched 12v signal to #86 is the Blue w/yellow wire from the horn button.

Insinuating the relay into the main circuit instead of using the ground to the column like the factory one does.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...add an easy relay upgrade to the horn circuit?
I wouldn't put that into the complete diagram because those are to show the original wiring. For mods, I like to pull out a piece of the original diagram to focus on the modded circuits, like this:

(phone app link)

But the horn relay is pretty easy to infer from that '75 diagram: of course you should start with a fuse near the starter relay (instead of a straight hot wire like the factory) going to pin 30 of a Bosch/ISO relay just like that fuel pump diagram shows. 86 is still ground; but pin 85 is the horn switch input (circuit 482 Bu/Y at zone G25 in the diagram below), and 87 is the output to the horn(s).

(phone app link)

The new fused wire should be sized for the current used by the horn(s).