• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How big is your hole? (for the twinsticks)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Going to cut the tunnel this weekend to install my twins. Any idea as to how big or maybe a pattern? What did you use to cover it back up? I have the twin stick boot but i'm thinking just a piece of sheetmetal screwed down? Pices from my multiple handled brothers???

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
well as long as I have been here at work it's pretty dang big:eek: you doing a j-shift or t-shift also how much of a body lift do you have? Any way on the J-shift with a 2" body lift it is just little bigger than the origanal. come to think of it do you have a glass tub, if so sorry couldn't be of more help

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
no body lift currently, j-shift steel (at one time) body

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I'm kind of echoing Skiddy, but a j shift with a body lift doesn't require much more room for twins.

I'm running a 1" body lift, and I trimmed mine toward the drivers side almost to the bend in the tunnel. I didn't need to do any other trimming.

If your transfer case is in, your in for a treat cutting the flags. They are hardened. I managed to get mine with a cutoff wheel and a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel in it. One of these would make it a breeze: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?...DUCT&path=1,2,482,489,491&KickerID=216&KICKER

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
oh yeah, all installed. I drive it every day, i had it apart once but couldn't get anywhere near the "flags" to cut them. That's why i figure a large hole is needed to be able to get a sawzall in there.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
then I would just wait till you put the sticks in, there will be very little trimming

With no body lift you may not have to trim at all. I have a 3"BL and and took a 1/4" out of the rear of mine.
I also cut a sheet metal ring to put inside of the twin stick boot, then when I Got it positioned screwed it down on the flat. Then when I folded the boot down it stays that way 2 more screws and done. My boot has held up good for 4 years now.
Marty

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
oh yeah, all installed. I drive it every day, i had it apart once but couldn't get anywhere near the "flags" to cut them. That's why i figure a large hole is needed to be able to get a sawzall in there.

Yes cutting the flags is a pita. I had a large tunnel cover for access to my NP435. But if your body mounts are pretty fresh you can loosen up the pass side take the bolts out of the driver an jack up the body. I used a die grinder and a small cut off wheel. A right angle die grinder would have been the s@#t.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
No freshness here, going to have to go in from the top. Good picture on pg 112 of the Wild horses catalog about the plate over the enlarged opening. Can't find a picture of their site though.

BIGED

Guru ????
I had to open the tunnel up more than I wanted to just to cut the rail flags and get the bolt in. :cry: also had to trim the back of the hole to clear. To finish it off I bent a peice of diamond plate and covered the whole tunnel . I have no body lift and went j shift to wh twin stick .

BIGED

Guru ????
No pics did it before i new this site was here. just remember the lock tite my bolt backed out about a month ago had to open the tunnel again to put it back in . it didnt fall out wasnt enough room . the diagram wh sent was kind of vague.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I cut my flags from the bottom with a j shift. I used a 4 inch cutoff in an angle grinder. It was very tight but the grinder did fit...

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I am about to cut my D20 flags as well but my tub is off the frame.

Have you guys tried a drimel with a 90 degree head and their fiber cut off wheels?

I have been able to cut all kinds of hard to reach placed with this setup. I even have the flexible attachment extension for it to get in hard to reach places. You may need a hand full of wheels because they don't last long but you may be able to do it without cutting into the tub.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have a 205 T case and my twin stick went in the stock hole no trimming.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I have the WH J style twin. 2in. BL. New floor, so I got to start with a clean slate. Minimal hole, the boot w/retainer screws to the floor. No extra tunnel addition needed. I don't have the pic of it finished, but it works just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 110

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
Cut the flags off the d-20 with a rotozip with a cutoff wheel attachment - it was tight even with a 3" BL. You might be able to get a dremel with a cutoff wheel in there. Tunnel is about a 6" x 3" hole - covered with alum. diamond plate. Without the BL you may just have a little trimming. With the glass tub the hole starts right at the bend on the left.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'VE got pics from my install we just did 2 of the JB Twin shifter ..Wife took pics but hasn't Emailed to me ...It's only been 6 weeks ...

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
IMG_0887.jpg