• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How can I determine what year the body is on my Bronco

toddmedin

Hey all,
I bought a "Frankenstein" project a few years back...almost gave up on it, but eventually I got it running...and it is running really strong now.

But I am trying to find doors for it...and thus I need to know what year the body is.

I thought it was a 66 because the tail-lights didn't have any reverse lights...but recently I found out that 66s had round strikers for the doors and mine are oval.

How do I determine what year the body is?

My Frankenstein:
1. Legally a 72. (per the DMV)
2. Axles are from a 73.
3. I put a 91 Tbird EFI in it.
4. NP-435 tranny from who knows when.

Thanks for your input,
Todd

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Almost everything and anything can be swapped, most easier than others. Post up some pics.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Presumably the B-pillar decal is long gone or painted over? That would tell you what month and year it was manufactured.
But an oval striker should be a '68-'77 door style. And of those, they should all fit.

Ultimately, you might want to measure the location of the striker just to make sure it's not part of the Frenkenstein myth. But chances are pretty good (most of the time!) they're of the later design.

So they look like the later ones pictured on this page then?
Door Strikers

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, I just learned something new at 5:20AM! ;D

I never knew about the striker difference. Love this site!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
There are some differences throughout the years, most notably the early 66 tubs have a bunch of unique features that start to go away in 67, 68 and gone completely by 69. The addition of lower side reflectors in 68 & 69 that changed to side markers in 70. You also have the tell tale 66-67 door locks and internal handles that changed in 68, removable upper window frame on the door from 66 to 68 and then later you have the unmistakeable fuel door on the 77. There are many other differences to add with vacuum wipers from 66 through early 69. Basically the tubs remained largely unchanged from 70 through 76. Here you will have to dive into the dash panel layout as that had several changes. An internal change I have noticed on some we have restored is sometime after 73 we have seen the loss of the bulkhead fasteners in the floor since they stopped production of the half cab. The hoods remained the same from 69 on until 77. It has a unique forward rib that was 77 only stamped to accommodate the larger distributor cap. I say 69 on because I have seen some difference in the under hood structure but am not certain as to what year that was or if they were aftermarket hoods which I am sure someone will chime in on.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
There are some differences throughout the years, most notably the early 66 tubs have a bunch of unique features that start to go away in 67, 68 and gone completely by 69. The addition of lower side reflectors in 68 & 69 that changed to side markers in 70. You also have the tell tale 66-67 door locks and internal handles that changed in 68, removable upper window frame on the door from 66 to 68 and then later you have the unmistakeable fuel door on the 77. There are many other differences to add with vacuum wipers from 66 through early 69. Basically the tubs remained largely unchanged from 70 through 76. Here you will have to dive into the dash panel layout as that had several changes. An internal change I have noticed on some we have restored is sometime after 73 we have seen the loss of the bulkhead fasteners in the floor since they stopped production of the half cab. The hoods remained the same from 69 on until 77. It has a unique forward rib that was 77 only stamped to accommodate the larger distributor cap. I say 69 on because I have seen some difference in the under hood structure but am not certain as to what year that was or if they were aftermarket hoods which I am sure someone will chime in on.

All that's true but if they've been swapped and it's a total Frankenstein, it would be hard to confirm unless it's a Budd body 66'. Early 66' hoods had four rods for bracing is what you're referring to on your last comment.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'77 is easy, fuel filler doors
'76 (and '77) had a different driver's inner fender to clear the brake booster.

Just because lights/reflectors are missing, check the back side to see if they were patched shut or the quarters were replaced (fenders just bolt on)

There was a change to the firewall where the electrical passes through. I forget what year but around '70.

Dual tanks? check the selector valve under the seat. If it is 6-port it is a '73. One year only.

I recall there is something with the bulkhead bolt holes in the later years. I forget what that is.

There are a lot of little things if you know what to look for. Holes in the right spot for duraspark? Starter solenoid and voltage regulator moved around a little bit over the years.

Depending on how frankentiened it is you may never know.

Went back and read the post again. You probably have a late '72 that got '73 axles (how do you know the axles are '73?). Or you have an early '73 that was built in '72.

Tail light swap is a simple custom feature. Has a cleaner look to many without the reverse lights. Did they just do a lens swap or did they do a good job and put the '66 buckets in as well to get rid of the reverse bulb. There is probably still the wiring under the hood for the reverse lights that wasn't extended down to the new transmission.

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

Presumably the B-pillar decal is long gone or painted over? That would tell you what month and year it was manufactured.
But an oval striker should be a '68-'77 door style. And of those, they should all fit.

Ultimately, you might want to measure the location of the striker just to make sure it's not part of the Frenkenstein myth. But chances are pretty good (most of the time!) they're of the later design.

So they look like the later ones pictured on this page then?
Door Strikers

When you say "measure the location of the striker"...what do I need to measure to and from? (I do see what you are saying...a PO could have put a post 67 latch and striker into a 66-67 body)

Todd

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

Went back and read the post again. You probably have a late '72 that got '73 axles (how do you know the axles are '73?). Or you have an early '73 that was built in '72.

I say that my axles are 73s because the guy I bought it from told me he just swapped the axles out...and put 73s in it. (he said the 72 axles he took out had ARBs in front and rear...and so he wanted those axles...)

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

Wow...a lot of knowledge here...thanks...

Unfortunately, most of what was mentioned was not part of what I bought...there was no engine, actually the engine compartment was completely bare...no tranny...no drive shafts...no gas tanks...I replaced the wiring harnesses (body and installed the EFI).

As one of my friends says "You bought a 'Bronco kit' with a bunch of pieces missing." (it was a project for my son and I)

I'll post some pix as soon as I figure out how to do that. I'm sure there is a description of how to do that somewhere.

Todd

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Wow...a lot of knowledge here...thanks...

Unfortunately, most of what was mentioned was not part of what I bought...there was no engine, actually the engine compartment was completely bare...no tranny...no drive shafts...no gas tanks...I replaced the wiring harnesses (body and installed the EFI).

As one of my friends says "You bought a 'Bronco kit' with a bunch of pieces missing." (it was a project for my son and I)

I'll post some pix as soon as I figure out how to do that. I'm sure there is a description of how to do that somewhere.

Todd

Pics should help a bunch, here's the how to.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As far as fitting doors, there are only 2 options. The '66/67 and the '68-77. Sure there are a few trim changes, but nothing else.

As mentioned just look at the striker. Round or oval. To change a striker it is either a total hack job and you could clearly see that, or an intensive body rebuild in which case someone would not be gutting the bronco that had that much restoration work and make it a trail truck then gut it and sell you a shell.

Post a picture of your striker, we will confirm. But I am saying that you will need a set of '68-77 doors off what I am reading so far.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you now if the windshield frame is bolted or welded on? 66-68 bolted, after that welded.

I also have a Frankenstein. 68 body on a 75 frame with 76 axles, and the old hood from my 73.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Radiator core support is a big clue. 73 and later have a box section added to make room for a PS box. It also makes the support weaker than the earlier ones.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Radiator core support is a big clue. 73 and later have a box section added to make room for a PS box. It also makes the support weaker than the earlier ones.

As well as the fresh air intake hole in the core support on the '73-newer ones as well.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
And the '76-'77 bodies have the additional brace between the core support and the inner fender on the driver's side.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

Here are some pictures...my rig...and the striker on the driver's side.

Attachments

• West_of_Bishop_2017.jpg
    West_of_Bishop_2017.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 75
  • driver_door_latch_oval_non66.jpg
    driver_door_latch_oval_non66.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 80

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I can't tell if it's oval or round lol, what's the end look like? Rear shock is pointed to the rear, but that could have been added as well.