• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you fix this and prevent it from happening again?

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
I noticed the bulge on the lower windshield frame on the passengers side. I run a bikini top and have a 4pt rear family cage (no front hoop). From different threads on here i have read that a lot of people brace the windshield to a front roll bar hoop to prevent it from moving or pulling back into the frames. Mine looks like the bolt holding the windshield from inside the dash actually dented the windshield frame. How do you prevent that from happening? Is tvat because the windshield is bouncing around over bumps? Do i need to install a front hoop or are there other fixes anyone can suggest?

Attachments

• 20140831_172933.jpg
    20140831_172933.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 200

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks like the bolts holding the windshield to the dash are too long.

Fix it, you mean careful bodywork with a hammer to push the metal back down? Someplace that does paintless dent repair might do a pretty good job if the paint isn't broken yet.

brianz426

I haven't had my top off yet and have wondered the same thing. So long as you have your doors on and looks like you do, wouldn't the bikini top be pulling the windshield against the doors to stabilize it? I would think if you took your doors off then the windshield and frame would need to be stabilized. I don't have a front hoop either and next spring my top is coming off. If my windshield moved around too much I was thinking of making a bracket that would go under the top and somehow tie into the roll bar. It could be one or two long pieces but hopefully it would be mostly hidden under the top.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I used 3/8" rod to turnbuckles. The windshield does not move at all

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 85
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 75
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 61

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I made
One like that from conduit

And it also keeps the water from Ponding up on top of the bikini top when It sits out in the rain

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I would also agree the bolt is too long. Did you just tighten it down recently? I woudn't expect there to be any bracketry internal to the windshield frame on that side to bend metal if it flexed too much. Remove the bolt and get one with 1/2" smaller length.

Brackets at the top to hold the windshield definitely helps keep the windshield from flopping around and I would recommend them after driving with and without them.