• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much to powdercoat and blast?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1) Can you guys give me an idea of what I should look to pay to have a frame media/aluminum oxide blasted and powdercoated black?
2) Also..Anybody wanna guess what it would cost to media/aluminum oxide blast a tube with front clip still in place? Let me know and thanks

Blue71

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I've had several frames blasted to "white metal" for about $150 each.

Why people want to powdercoat frames still escapes me? ?:?

Powdercoating is great for many things, but IMO, not for frames, axles, bumpers, etc.

It is durable, but not easily repairable. Once you scratch it and rust starts it will bubble under it and lift large areas. If you ever want to weld or modify a PC'd frame you can not touch it up easily like with paint.

A properly prepped and painted frame will look as good if not better and will last if some basic care is taken. Afterall, the crappy OEM paint probably lasted 30-40+ years on yours until now.

I like PC for some engine parts (intakes, brackets, etc.), and some other parts not likely to see rock rash or need future welding or modification.

It's always cacked me up when I'd see a $50K+ custom chopper or big $ street rod boast about a PC'd frame. PC was developed as a an easy, cheap, more environmentally compliant finish for high volume production on conveyors, just like Harley does on all their bikes.

Anyway, I hope that at least the first part of my reply helped! ;D

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't have my entire tub blasted, but can give you a price for the back half, which was $350. That was basically from the front floor pans back as well as the tailgate & grill (which was unbolted) The tub was still on the frame. This didn't include the doors, hood, front fenders or anything else up front (except the grill)

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
My frame was $125 in alumina.

The tub, hood, grill, doors, door panels, dash, tailgate, front fenders were about $850-900, if I remember correctly...that was all media.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I paid $300.00 for the frame to be blasted and powdercoated. If I was to do it again, I would go with a good epoxy paint. easier to repair or touch up when needed or you make mod changes to your frame.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had my surface-rusty frame sandblasted and powdercoated for 350-400 I think. I went with powdercoat because my frame had some coastal rust on it and I didn't intend on modifying it in any way...basicly a show/street Bronco. If my frame had been cleaner(like a typical CA frame, not a Baja Beaches frame), I'd have just wire wheel'd and painted it with POR or Eastwood HD chassis black.