• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to carry Hi lift jack

D's Bronco

I'm building a 75 with 35 inch tires and a 5 1/2 lift. Wanted some options to carry a jack. Pics would be great... Thanks Dustin

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I picked up a couple of tube clamps from McMaster, welded bolts to them and I mount it off of a diagonal cross bar between the b and c hoops of my family style cage. It works.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Roll bar diagonal drop down on passenger side. This is one of the legs that support the roll bar. All that's needed is to drill a 1/2" hole through the roll bar then mount the jack along side it and bolt it to the drop down leg using 1/2" bolt with fender washers and a 1/2" wing nut or a regular nut. Mine has been mounted like this forever and it's out of the way. Also use one of those Hi-Lift rubber handle retainers to keep the handle from rattling.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I've done the same thing for others, shaft collars with a bolt welded on each. I pick bolts that thread into the vehicle's lug nuts and use cone seat lug nuts to hold the bar in place. That way the lug nut tool is also the jack access tool.

On the shaft collars from McMaster, note that there are two steel versions, one labeled "weldable" and the other isn't. Those that aren't appear to be made from 12L14. They're steel, you can weld to them, but that "L" means that there is Lead in the steel alloy and welds won't stay stuck long term.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I just picked up some muffler clamps, clamped to roll bar diagonal, and then bolted hi lift to that. I figure with it bolted it acts as enough of an anti theft device (at least where I live) when running topless. Plus was a super cheap solution.

Happy to post pics if you like.

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Added standoffs and bolts to the diagonal section of my spare tire assembly, ground down the edges of washers to fit in the rail of the hi lift and used wing nuts to secure it.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Four Treks Hi Lift Mounts "ONLY" $107.00 :D

Attachments

• in1.jpg
    in1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 236

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Got my Hi-Lift alum ones off eBay for 40 something bucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 209

Scotty

I ran over one a couple of weeks ago that fell off a jeep. I stopped to pick it up and returned it to its owner who had pulled over about 1/2 mile down the road.

He'd had bolts passing through the bar holes to some kind of mount; those bolts had worked loose.

A hole drilled in each bolt with some kind of cotter pin/R-clip/"hairpin" through the bolts to backstop the nuts would have prevented them from coming loose.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welded two bolts to the carrier.

20150510_202941_zpsi9msynt0.jpg

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I used the Hi-Lift mount kit then bolted it to my back bumper.
There are little holes in the bolts you can put a small lock on.
I think you can see my lock on mine in the photo.
It is just a silly lock but I hope it is enough to slow down a lazy thief...

Attachments

• 0510152052.jpg
    0510152052.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 99

Susan76

My 76

My 76 Inside with the base bolted to the fender panel. Both tyre lift & track pads are locked behind the jack for storage. All retained with one lock.

Attachments

• 002c.jpg
    002c.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 008c.jpg
    008c.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 73

u10072

Bronco Guru
My method of choice- outside just gets it dirty which makes the jack a bitch to use. Also not a fan of just welding a bolt on the cage/body. Have to think what a sharp 60# jack can do in an emergency (roll, crash, etc.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 57

TAC71

Contributor
I mounted one under the hood, across the top of the cowl. I don't have either of the air intakes, but the base has to be removed to clear the hood.