• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to clean shock boot?

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Over time my pretty blue JD shock boots have gotten grimey from dirt/mud and road grim. I don't want to take the shocks off and was wondering if anyone used something like brake/parts cleaner to clean them up while still installed. Thanks

armynavy17

Contributor
I'd be wary about using something as strong as brake clean. It'd clean off the grime for sure, but would eat the rubber as well.

Maybe something along the lines of simple green and a scrub brush?

Last edited:
Reactions: kat

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
just take off the top bolt, you dont need to take the shock off. That would be 4 bolts total not a big job. You can do that

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Like armynavy17 said, use Simple Green or I like Spray Nine. I always used Spray Nine and a brass brush to clean white walls or white letter tires and they would come out white again.(y)

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Go pick up some foaming tub/shower cleaner and a nylon brush. Let that sit and rinse. Then use a non-glossy tire shine to coat them

Im gonna have to try some of that Spray Nine stuff on my Raptor tires. Mud has ruined the sidewalls

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Go pick up some foaming tub/shower cleaner and a nylon brush. Let that sit and rinse. Then use a non-glossy tire shine to coat them

Im gonna have to try some of that Spray Nine stuff on my Raptor tires. Mud has ruined the sidewalls
I did think about the shower cleaner but was worried about the rubber. I tried some simple green but dont have a small brush to get in between. I know it would be easier to take them off but I have 8 of them.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would spray them down with WD-40 and then scrub them up with tide just make sure to push them up off the shok body to let out any water untill they dry.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did think about the shower cleaner but was worried about the rubber. I tried some simple green but dont have a small brush to get in between. I know it would be easier to take them off but I have 8 of them.
I've found the wife's toothbrush usually fits the bill. 😂

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
get yourself an electric impact gun you have the wheels off and the shocks out in an hour.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
scrubbing bubbles or something like griots all purpose cleaner will work. let it sit for a few minutes then scrub with a normal wash mitt. If they're that bad, its not much effort to replace them too.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had good luck with the LA Totally Awesome cleaner from the dollar store.

Attachments

• LA Totally Awesome.jpeg
    LA Totally Awesome.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 12

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the time you get the cleaner and do all the scrubbing , it will be easier to get some new black shocks boots , won’t show dirt
remove one bolt and put news ones on.
I nave been down this road some many times, I get it but at the end of the day , it will be a lot nicer. I’ll go back under my rock now. Haa

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At the shops I used to work at we had a supply of probably better than 120 different U bolts of various sizes hanging on our shop wall, and ALWAYS we had probably 20 of every available color shock boot in stock at any given time.
Those and replacement shock bushings (also several colors) were probably our fastest moving parts!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
At the shops I used to work at we had a supply of probably better than 120 different U bolts of various sizes hanging on our shop wall, and ALWAYS we had probably 20 of every available color shock boot in stock at any given time.
Those and replacement shock bushings (also several colors) were probably our fastest moving parts!
I'll bet I have thrown away at least 120 different shock boots.

I take them off every chance I get. Sometimes I just cut a giant hole in the bottom bellows, but usually I cut them off. I've used large diagonal cutting pliers, and small ones. Also used aviation ships. Occasionally I will use the cutting section of a pair of needle nose pliers. A razor blade can be used for dispatching the small end. A leatherman tool can also get it done in a pinch.

I've had plenty of rusted and ruined shocks from gunk stuck insisde the boots. But I have never once been stuck on a trail and thought..."If I only had a shock boot..."

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Great point as always James.
And while I have heard of that negative side of shock boots as long as there have been shot boots, I’ve never personally experienced it. But I don’t wheel as hard as some people. Maybe different conditions?
I certainly stay out of mud and snow, but sand can really do a number on things as well.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
once you start unbolting shocks down the rabbit hole you go remove the shock and the bushings need changing then you clean the shock boots and look at the shocks then you paint the shocks then you hit E-bay looking for replacement stickers and the boots dont just look like new so you need new boots and zip ties. when your done you have spent so much time, energy, and money it would have been quicker and easier to just bolt on new one's

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hah! Great point as always James.
And while I have heard of that negative side of shock boots as long as there have been shot boots, I’ve never personally experienced it. But I don’t wheel as hard as some people. Maybe different conditions?
I certainly stay out of mud and snow, but sand can really do a number on things as well.
Do people run shock boots on inverted shocks? These Edelbrocks didn’t come with any.

Attachments

• A0C2AF54-96D5-4335-B8F9-DBD29E1165C2.jpeg
    A0C2AF54-96D5-4335-B8F9-DBD29E1165C2.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 13

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. And no... Just like the other way 'round.
I always make a point to have them on inverted (shaft down) shocks especially to keep what I perceive to be the more endangered shock shaft protected from general debris and bouncing rocks.
A nick or scratch down near the mount is not likely to ever cause a problem, but half-way up or more towards the body and seal and it's probably the early death of that shock.
Not that a shock boot is going to stop a heavy rock coming at it at speed or force, but the general debris and flying gravel aspect I think makes it worthwhile to keep the boot.

And since it's shaft down the part about collecting gunk near the seal is no longer an issue.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That reminds me. My rears are shaft down and booted (Bilstein 5100's) and Bilstein has to have the absolute worst shock boot design on the market. Or at least of the ones I've tried.
They never look even and natural. Always twisted and wonky no matter how stretched out or compressed they are. Almost as if the bellows rings are a spiral instead of concentric.
Big complaint starter, but since they come with them and they fit the shock, I use them and have not tried alternatives yet. Might try that when these wear out and start falling off.

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Now yall got me thinking 'Do I even need shock boots? Be easier to replace them instead of cleaning them'. I have looked at replacement boots and they aren't as expensive as I thought. So even though I have 8 of them to replace I think I would be time ahead just to swap them out