• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to install under hood light

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
use the blue oval magnigtic light from harbor freight can stick almost anywhere. they use to give them free all the time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never actually used that type. Not sure what the best way is. Or best location.
And Ford did not use that type on the later trucks, so the DC claims for years of coverage are probably just generic for “it should fit” it looks like.
The under hood light for 78 and 79 were completely different and had a mercury switch inside them. Not sure when the styles changed though.

Seems like it should work though. I would maybe pick a point high up on the hood with the bulb pointed down so that it gives you a good overall light coverage. Maybe somewhere in the center left to right, but just back of the leading edge so that when the hood is closed it would fit down between the radiator and engine where there is clearance.

The threaded inserts sounds like a good way. But maybe temporary use of some removable double-sided sticky tape so that you can position it in different places to see how it works. Without the final commitment of screw holes.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
big_C2RZ-15A700-A.jpg

Uhh... Any reason you chose that thing? :unsure: There are a million 12V light fixtures to choose from - why not get one with some functionality (like a pull-out reel & magnetic base) &/or durability (like LED)?

This pic shows that it's supposed to be disassemble, screwed to a surface, and then re-assembled. In this case, 2 small self-drilling sheet metal screws into a hood crossbrace would work.

C2RZ-15A700-A@4.jpg

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I prefer the LED rock lights off Amazon. Not that I'm a fan of Amazon...
I printed up some brackets to mount behind the front support of the hood, one over each frame rail since I would have light in both recesses of the engine compartment. I installed a pair under the hood of my F150 and the rear of my kids Outback.

Attachments

• IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Bronco Hood Light.JPG
    Bronco Hood Light.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
B

BigBoss

big_C2RZ-15A700-A.jpg

Uhh... Any reason you chose that thing? :unsure: There are a million 12V light fixtures to choose from - why not get one with some functionality (like a pull-out reel & magnetic base) &/or durability (like LED)?

This pic shows that it's supposed to be disassemble, screwed to a surface, and then re-assembled. In this case, 2 small self-drilling sheet metal screws into a hood crossbrace would work.

C2RZ-15A700-A@4.jpg
I thought it would give a kind of "classic look" even though the 66 - 77 Bronco never featured a hood light, as opposed to the modern generic light fixtures. Then when I actually got it, I realized it wasn't at all what I was expecting but it's still better than the run of the mill light imho. I haven't really messed around with it for fear I would break the thing but since it disassembles that will make installation a whole lot easier. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
B

BigBoss

Never actually used that type. Not sure what the best way is. Or best location.
And Ford did not use that type on the later trucks, so the DC claims for years of coverage are probably just generic for “it should fit” it looks like.
The under hood light for 78 and 79 were completely different and had a mercury switch inside them. Not sure when the styles changed though.

Seems like it should work though. I would maybe pick a point high up on the hood with the bulb pointed down so that it gives you a good overall light coverage. Maybe somewhere in the center left to right, but just back of the leading edge so that when the hood is closed it would fit down between the radiator and engine where there is clearance.

The threaded inserts sounds like a good way. But maybe temporary use of some removable double-sided sticky tape so that you can position it in different places to see how it works. Without the final commitment of screw holes.
Yeah I knew it was not a stock option just thought it would look better than a run of the mill 12v light. I have a good mock up spot for it already but didn't want to commit to some holes until I was sure how to actually mount it.

Thinking now of using some of those rubber coated magnets with the threaded rod studs that way it is not permanent.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear you on the vintage look. I even thought of magnets myself but most of the strong magnets I have are really thick and didn’t think they’d be a good indicator of where to mount it. I’m not familiar with the type of magnet you’re talking about. Got a picture?

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I like the LED strips. Here's 16ft I mounted in the bed of my pickup. They are wired to turn on with the dome light in the cab.
114ed961462785c8976b2f0231537e1c.jpg

I also have blue strips under the frame on my '68, as well as a white strip I hid in front of the roll cage for an interior dome light. I have a spare rgb strip I put under the dash as well.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
e953e1c657d5ea0f404e2671f2292ff4.jpg

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have one, it also has a 25’ cord so it can be used anywhere on the vehicle. I’ve used it setting up camp when my flashlight died.

Attachments

• 180AE9D2-1AB1-492B-9177-FCEF14886A4C.jpeg
    180AE9D2-1AB1-492B-9177-FCEF14886A4C.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 27

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Maybe......

yes it was on the K5 that I broke the frame on and built the Broncno out of..... Shhhh its a secret even though the front diff is obviously on the wrong side o_O

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a under hood LED. It's some rigid one.

Attachments

• hood LED.jpg
    hood LED.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 51

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
sweet! there's a really nice black one in our shop about to go under the knife for some major HP and suspension upgrades. My shop partner has a fetish for 240's.
The z world dislikes LS swaps, just FYI. Mine is a fancy ITB