• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to read Explorer timing pointer??

latrucker

Contributor
Can anyone tell me where to read the timing from on the explorer serpentine timing pointer. There is a flat end on the right side of the pointer where i suspect your supposed to read timing but they also have a pointy looking deal in the middle that also looks like a pointer. Just a lot going on with this pointer. Can anyone clear this up, need to set my timing and don't want to misread it.....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a pic of it? I only remember a fancy (but simple) single-point pointer.
Also, is yours running the full Explorer damper with tone ring, or is it on an older engine with custom damper?
Either way, did you put the pointer in the stock location and did you test that any markings actually line up at TDC? If no to any of that, and even if you did connect it all up like factory, I would use some timing-tape if that will fit on the rim of the damper.
Timing tape just takes the guesswork out of whatever pointer/marking combination you happen to have.

Otherwise, I don't really know obviously. Wanting to hear what others have to say too.

Paul

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm curious what the problem is because explorer efi sets its own timing with the EDIS.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Here you go Paul

Attachments

• lrs-6023a_5383.jpg
    lrs-6023a_5383.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 37

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
That doesn't look like a 5.0 Explorer pointer to me... not sure what it came off of.
this is what I'm used to seeing...

Attachments

• pointer.jpg
    pointer.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 33

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think at this point latrucker, timing tape is your friend.;)

Paul

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Paul, I think you are right. Timing tape, here I come.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A couple of companies sell it, but Mr Gasket is who made it famous basically.
You go by the diameter of your damper ring. So if you have a 6.5" outer ring, that's the model you get.
Different manufacturers might use different colors, or different fonts, but the concept is the same no matter what.

Obviously because we're talking about degrees of a circle, the size rating of the tape should match the diameter (actually the circumference) pretty close. But frankly, if I had tape that was just slightly different from my application, I'd still use it.
The degree tick marks might be off slightly, but for most people's street use, a half of a degree one way or the other isn't going to make or break a tune.

The critical point is zero degrees, or TDC anyway. If you're persnickety about this kind of thing, you could align the desired degree mark (for instance, the 10° mark) with the pointer instead.

Paul

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
After further research, this is a pointer from a mustang 5.0 and the timing is read from the flat edge all the way to the right of the pointer. Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.