• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Howell TBI

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Swapped my Edelbrock 1406 for Howell TBI and my 302 has never run better. I had the carb set up really good and it ran awesome even at altitude on the Rubicon but the TBI seems to have really woken this old motor up. This is truly plug and play fuel injection that is way simpler with less headaches than Ford injection for a fairly stock or slightly warmed over engine.

Simple install. remove carb, install tbi unit, o2 sensor, water temp sender, electric fuel pump, hook up wiring harness, 1 ground, 2 12v conections, fuel pump wire hit the key and go!! The hardest part is figureing out how to get the harness inside and where to mount the ecm... Its really simple!!

Attachments

• DSC01556.JPG
    DSC01556.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01558.JPG
    DSC01558.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC01561.JPG
    DSC01561.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC01566.JPG
    DSC01566.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01567.JPG
    DSC01567.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC01565.JPG
    DSC01565.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
OP
OP
TBS-POPS

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Don't get me wrong, I loved the Edelbrock and had only 1 issue with it. I dont drive my Bronco enough and when it sits for 2-3 weeks at a time the gas would dry up in the carb and leave behind some kind of jellyfish type gooey stuff and I would have to clean it out or it would be a hassel to drive being all cloged up. I'm hoping the with more of a sealed system this wont happen any more.

I would highly recomend this type of system to anyone wanting a simple solution to get rid of carb problems/ineffencies on a stock or slightly modified engines without all the electronic nightmare!

Last edited:

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
In 1989 the Dodge Ramcharger had a similiar unit, known as the Holley Pro-Jection, since it was sold as aftermarket it was not legal in CA. (go figure)

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a nice alternative to full blown EFI. Where did you get the kit?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Still costs as much or more than using stock ford parts on differance is that it is all new. But a few people have had issues with them as well.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Some of the cj guys I wheel withhave howell systems. Seems to work pretty good. I like the idea that the carb can go back on in if there are any problems

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
It's all based off the GM system. IH guys been runnin' these things for some time by robbing the complete system off a donor GM, primarily the '88-'91 vintage. I'm contenplating robbing one for my '68 IH quad cab pickup DD project! Some guys make their own harness out of the donor but aftermarket ones are avail much like RJM produces for us Ford guys.

OP
OP
TBS-POPS

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
That's a nice alternative to full blown EFI. Where did you get the kit?

I bought this kit used from a guy that was building a bigger engine and needed an efi system that would support bigger hp. system was fairly new (about 6months) he said and ran great. he just wanted more than this smaller unit would run. go to howellefi.com if ya want to check out thier stuff. this was the basic universal V8 kit that they sell for $1200. bought this one for $900.

One of the neat things is the Howell guys started Wheeling in Broncos!!

wdbowers

Loc.
Ada, Ok
For what it is worth that is the system that Gordon Bailie and Jim Hardy run on there rigs and most of you know how well their's work. this is what I will run when I get that far,

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Swapped my Edelbrock 1406 for Howell TBI and my 302 has never run better. I had the carb set up really good and it ran awesome even at altitude on the Rubicon but the TBI seems to have really woken this old motor up. This is truly plug and play fuel injection that is way simpler with less headaches than Ford injection for a fairly stock or slightly warmed over engine.

Simple install. remove carb, install tbi unit, o2 sensor, water temp sender, electric fuel pump, hook up wiring harness, 1 ground, 2 12v conections, fuel pump wire hit the key and go!! The hardest part is figureing out how to get the harness inside and where to mount the ecm... Its really simple!!

I see that you are bragging about your mechanic skills on this site as well POPS ;D So how does it wheel?

OP
OP
TBS-POPS

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
I see that you are bragging about your mechanic skills on this site as well POPS ;D So how does it wheel?

Ran it through the mall yesterday Doug and it did exceptionally well!! Never missed a beat over two parking berms, one planter box and three shopping carts!!

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Did you need it re-tuned or was it already set up for a 302? I want to go TBI on the 289 in the '66 some day to keep it looking stock-ish.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for posting up .... and the pictures. I have wanted to go with a system like this for awhile. In the interim I did the "Poor Man's FI" (turned around Q-jet)..... You've peaked my interest again ....

Did the system require a fuel return line?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would imagine that one scavenged from a Chevy 305 would work right out of the box.
But it's probably also tweakable with not much effort or cost? Dunno, but I bet there are chips-galore for that setup.

Paul

OP
OP
TBS-POPS

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Thanks for posting up .... and the pictures. I have wanted to go with a system like this for awhile. In the interim I did the "Poor Man's FI" (turned around Q-jet)..... You've peaked my interest again ....

Did the system require a fuel return line?

Yes it does require a return line. The WH 20 gal tank I'm running has the two extra 1/4" vent lines in the tank which every body just loops a hose to seal them off but are suitable for running a return line to. This is a low pressure system so only a good grade of regular fuel line is needed. I ran 3/8 supply and 5/16" return lines.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I am running the Howell and it is just as you say it is, easy, very much improved performance....everything. I do not regret any of the cost, install or type of injection. I say if your happy I'm happy as far as what a person does.

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I have 35's and 411 gears and get just under 17 mpg running 65 mph. Thats not too bad. I am sure other's would not want to agree with all of this but I'm OK with that also. I am the one whom drives it and wheels it.

Glad you are happy and it's working well for you. I also have the 20 gal WH tank.

OP
OP
TBS-POPS

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
I would imagine that one scavenged from a Chevy 305 would work right out of the box.
But it's probably also tweakable with not much effort or cost? Dunno, but I bet there are chips-galore for that setup.

Paul

Paul, yes it prob would!! Howell even has a complete line of parts to help guys if the want to piece a system together. they will sell the adaptor plates so you can run the tbi on a 4bbl manifold at a very reasonable cost. pnp'n your own tbi and ecm with the temp senders and o2's can cut about half the cost I think. If not more.