• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydraulic Liftgate Supports

72BlueBronco

Just got done installing my new hydraulic liftgate support, one of the best modifications I've done for under 50 bucks. Now I can run around with the liftgate up and don't have to worry about it slamming down on me. (3-60 air conditioning) ;D Well worth the money. I'd recommend it to anyone without air conditiioning in the hot weather.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
With the stock liftgate arms I just install a fine thread 5/16" nut and bolt through the hole in the arms to prevent the gate from slamming down. I was told the the shocks won't hold up for very long.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Hey Mad, I did this modification over 6 years ago and neither lift has failed yet. I bought the lifts at NAPA. Being in the midwest they've experienced hot and cold weather. Still going strong!

dash8mx

Whats the part number for the struts or a web site with info. Thanks william in va<br>

wades76

Loc.
Monroe, GA
[quote author=dash8mx link=board=5;threadid=13601;start=0#102407 date=1043414915]<br>Whats the part number for the struts or a web site with info. Thanks william in va<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>I got my set from JBG's they were 50 bucks but I didn't have to guess if they would work and the came with the attaching brackets took me about 10 minutes start to finish the here's a pic of what you get
LFGSUPPORTKIT.JPG
<br><br>I love mine

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I also sale the rear gas lifts and have not had any problems with them. But they will not hold the liftgate up when going through a dip.

Deere4440

Loc.
Helena, MT
Are they any help at all in reducing the liftgate rattle when in the closed position as some advertisements suggest?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Installing the liftgate lifts will remove all of the rattle caused by the old supports :) Because they put pressure on the liftgate they also dampen some of the noise made by the liftgate.

Deere4440

Loc.
Helena, MT
[quote author=chuck link=board=5;threadid=13601;start=0#102558 date=1043444036]<br>Installing the liftgate lifts will remove all of the rattle caused by the old supports :) Because they put pressure on the liftgate they also dampen some of the noise made by the liftgate.<br>[/quote]<br>Yeah, it's the bit about putting pressure between the top and the closed liftgate I was questioning. I believe most of my annoyance stems from contant between the liftgate and the so called "anti rattle device". I'll order one of yours soon.<br>Thanks,<br>Jack