• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro assist ram position advice needed

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
I need to rebuild my ram so now seems like the right time to solve another problem. The way my ram is mounted to twists the steering rod when it pushed and pulls. It twists so much that it has to be carefully positioned so the ram body doesn't bind against the TRE when turning right and the nut on the hiem doesn't scrape across the diff cover when turning left. Since I have a heavy duty cover I was thinking of mounting the ram to the cover then the rod to the right side of the TRE. this would put the ram directly under the TRE so it would pull straight. The only concern it's that it would be the lowest thing in the front and would require a skid plate to protect it.

Does anyone out there who bangs rocks have any other ideas where it could be mounted that wouldn't interfere in travel or reduce it effectiveness?

Pic
uploadfromtaptalk1447627217853.jpg

C Saporito

I had a similar twisting issue and had problems reaching the full stroke turning left. I wound up mounting the ram on the frame cross member and attaching at the pitman arm. It works pretty good but I have a lot more room due to a suspension lift.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My friend had a similar issue on his D60 under his '78 Bronco...mounted it off the cover under the hi-steer tie-rod and added a skid under the ram. No issues since and he's hard on his junk.

I wouldn't mount a ram to the drag link due to all of the force going through the one connecting point at the tie-rod or knuckle depending on your configuration. At least with the tie-rod mounted ram, you're dividing the load across both knuckles.

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. Apogee, that's the kind of concern I have with mounting to the drag link especially since I'll be beating it on the rocks. Besides, like C Saporito said, not much room around the drag link. I just wish I could find a way to mount it behind the TRE..

Another question. No rebuild kits are available for the rams from West Texas Offroad so I'll likely replace it. I've got the 1.5" ram with 5/8" shaft. They say the 1.75" (3/4" shaft) is much stronger but slower than the 1.5" and can be an issue if driven often on the street or by different people. I'd love the stronger ram if I'm replacing mine but don't want it to be unsafe for the wife (and son before too long) to drive on the street. Does anyone have any input on this?