• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I replaced the license plate light, and then there was smoke

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
Yep, went from zero to OMG pretty quick. Got myself a Type 97 bulb for the license, and tried installing, only it wouldn't seat far enough to lock into place. Upon further inspection, the contacts inside were gross, so I tried manipulating them with a screwdriver to get the spring action going. No luck. Then I grabbed the PB Blaster to penetrate and unstick things, and that did the trick. Got the bulb in, then turned the marker lights on to test. Nothing. While vehicle out. But then, a flicker. Then all my lights started flickering like crazy. License bulb never did come on, but as I was checking it, smoke starts emanating from the fixture. Ah! Holy crap!! Pulled it out fast.

So, I have two theories. One, PB Blaster conducts electricity and it shorted everything out. Not likely, but who knows. Two, the fixture is just so old and full of rust some random bit of metal (rust, corrosion, etc.) ended up shorting out, and it took the whole system out. Then the short circuit heated up and cooked off some of the PB. Once that bulb was removed, the rest of the system returned to normal.

I'm leaning toward the second scenario, but what do you think?

Sledneck

Make sure you are using the correct bulb. For the OEM light socket, the bulb is a #1178. The PO on my bronco put the wrong bulb in, and burnt up the wiring. The bulbs are getting harder to find, ordered a pack of them off Amazon. You said you used a type 97, but not sure that is correct? The picture of a type 97 I see online is not correct for the OEM light socket.

OP
OP
wegngis

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
I think I got a wrong bulb. Fitment online pointed me to the 97 (Sylvania's site) but I will look up that #1178 and compare to my socket.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Make sure the wire that runs to it through the tailgate isn't naked anywhere n touching metal in that area.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1178 - I had to place a special order at the local Napa

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7498.jpg
    IMG_7498.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
wegngis

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
Thanks justino! Everywhere I look, it calls for a 97, but now I know that's wrong. Hard to get the right one when I didn't have one to start with.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thanks justino! Everywhere I look, it calls for a 97, but now I know that's wrong. Hard to get the right one when I didn't have one to start with.

My local Napa had them a couple yrs ago.(1178)

hammer

Bronco Guru
For what its worth, i know this is an old thread, but i got steered toward a #97 as well. #90 is what you need (same as an 1178).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was that from a store computer hammer? Or a manufacturers book or website?
Either way, seems like we need to complain to someone so they'll fix it someday. Hopefully...

Paul

hammer

Bronco Guru
Was that from a store computer hammer? Or a manufacturers book or website?
Either way, seems like we need to complain to someone so they'll fix it someday. Hopefully...

Paul

Philips, store computer. Clerk was no more help as he had, "never heard of an 1178"

Maybe a 97 works on a '66? The only difference between a 90 and a 97 is a 90 has 2 contact points on the bulb and a 97 has 1. That's why the 97 started smoking in the OP as he had positive and negative hooked up to the same contact on the bulb.