• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identifying a Lighning lowewr intake

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Does it have the badge/intake plate with it? Seen those got for $$$$ The lightning crowd considers them gold....

It's all about how bad you want the Lightning upper. I got the Explorer version GT-40 upper complete for $35 at the local yard. For under $400 I got a cast iron GT-40 lower, Explorer GT-40 upper, T-body, MA sensor, all hoses/sensors and pigtails needed for my EFI conversion.

I like the looks of the Lighting upper but the cost put me off.

Tim

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
I have a complete donor 1996 explorer 5.0 that I was going to use the upper from but the tubular one looks cooler LOL. Just don't want to overpay in case I don't use it and want to sell it later and hopefully break even anyway.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'd say each piece(upper & lower) sells for $300 to $400 from what I've seen.

Amac70

ME
300 to 400 each is what an average price range seems to be. Note if your going to spend that much on the pair you can get a brand new trick flow or edelbrock set up for that money.

Joe473

300 to 400 each is what an average price range seems to be. Note if your going to spend that much on the pair you can get a brand new trick flow or edelbrock set up for that money.
Would the tfs or edelbrock allow 351 to clear stock hood with only 1 inch body lift though?
Not sure, but I thouht I heard the lighting setup does.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'd take the Ford intake over Edelcrock or TFS any day....but that is just my preference as I prefer factory parts over aftermarket questionable parts. I'm fairly certain the TFS is taller than the GT40 setup. I have GT40 and another local Bronco guy has TFS and his measured taller.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Id like to stick with the ford stuff. I bought the pair and they are on their way so I'm committed now LOL

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I have a complete donor 1996 explorer 5.0 that I was going to use the upper from but the tubular one looks cooler LOL. Just don't want to overpay in case I don't use it and want to sell it later and hopefully break even anyway.

While the tubular upper looks cooler, the Explorer upper flows better.

You can easily find a buyer for $$$ for a tubular upper, Explorer uppers are cheap.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
I do have a complete 96 explorer so maybe I'll sell the tubular then if that's the case. Would help offset my cost for the lightning lower too.

mattt

Bronco Guru
While the tubular upper looks cooler, the Explorer upper flows better.

You can easily find a buyer for $$$ for a tubular upper, Explorer uppers are cheap.

I've heard that point made in the past, but never seen any info to actually back it up. Is it just an old Mustang wives tale or was there a flow test done?

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Found this on a Mustang sight:
"The GT-40 manifold can be made to fit, but not as easily as some of your other options. A Cowl hood WILL be required. The main advantage to the GT-40 is its tubular runners. The design of the GT-40 and '93 Cobra and are very similar, they are both of the staggered port design, and essentially have the same runner design. But the GT-40's tubular runners are more consistent in their shape; keeping the flow to the cylinders slightly greater, and more consistent. And the tubular runners tend to dissipate heat more efficiently, so your air charge temperature is usually lower with a GT-40.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sounds like Motorsports offered different iterations over time. The small baffle one I have was from Motorsports according to who I got it from.

This is the Motorsports version. It had the small rear baffle but I improved it. As far as I can tell the baffle was the only difference from the production intake.

Attachments

• 20141221_113253.jpg
    20141221_113253.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20141223_132115.jpg
    20141223_132115.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 29
  • 20141223_143311.jpg
    20141223_143311.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
That's the one I'm getting I think. Has the same numbers on the casting as the one in your picture Viperwolf.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I've heard that point made in the past, but never seen any info to actually back it up. Is it just an old Mustang wives tale or was there a flow test done?

It was tested, I don't have the test bookmarked.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Found a different test, their results are within 3 or 4 horsepower/ft. lbs.
If it won't gain you anything why not sell it and use the money on other Bronco parts?
This is from www.fiveohinfo.com :

Attachments

• intakepower.jpg
    intakepower.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 26

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for posting that. Looks to be pretty much negligible between the 3 tested. Certainly not enough difference to even feel when driving. I also noticed the tq number is better with the tubular.....Broncos like tq. ;D