• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm going crazy!!! Now another problem has come up? (potentially big prob)

digmy76

There is a whining noise when I am off of the gas and the trany seems to be winding down...or that is what I thought was happening, but my mechanic thinks that the rear pinion is messed up, and the rear end should be redone...he checked the fluid and there was very little. He filled it back up and it took a little over a quart. He said it only takes about 2 to fill it up. Is this likely the source of the whining noise when I'm off of the gas and slowing down or is that just what my auto trany does? I hate that I have to keep asking all of these questions, but you guys are great and always give me great answers, thanks! ;D

Blueoval4me

Loc.
Fullerton, CA
Re:I'm going crazy!!! Now another problem has come up? (I think I'm going to b

the rear end can be checked before its just redone. I am pretty sure checking backlash and gear mesh will tell you all you want to know. Of course the third member has to be removed to do this, but its a start. Good luck.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay

Well the rear end takes about three qts so I wouldn't say it was dangerously low. It's hard diagnos a noise over the net but I guessing it is something relatively simple with the tranny. A vacuum linehooked up wrong, or that little piston and spring got put back in wrong. Just guesses here.

Panama71

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM

A friend had that same noise recently and it turned out to be a loose pinion nut. Might not be your problem but its a cheap thing to check.

green73brc

I know you probably have thought of this but double check that you are not loosing fluid so that you wont end up with a big problem! Seeing as how you were a quart low....

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Take off you rear drive shaft and lock your hubs and drive it in 4-wd if it is your rear end the noise will not be heard if it is still there keep looking. More than Likely it is your pinion bearings low oil will still lube the ring gear but low oil will not cool the pinion bearings. Check your drive shaft very well while it is out it too could be the culprit.

CrazyHorse70

Loc.
Austin
Check the u-joints in the rear drive shaft as well, I had a strange whining noise once that turned out to be the u-joint at the third member end.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas

I had that same whining happening to my eb when deaccelerating. I believed it to be the tranny, and after a saturday spent swapping trannies, the noise was still there. It turned out to be that my pinion nut was loose. I wish id have listened to my dad and checked the rearend first.

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

Where exactly is this pinion nut? ??? Is it easy to get to and is this something I can check myself?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pull off the drive shaft and in the center of the yolk on the rear end is the pinion nut. It can be tightened but you have to be very careful as the system is set up with what is called a crush sleeve. you tighten this nut an crush the sleeve to set up the pinion bearings. Basically this takes an extreme amount of force so if you go in there and can move this nut with a standard 1/2 in scocket wrench and not with a breaker bar it is too loose. In your case take the shaft out and drive it if the noise goes away and the drive shaft checks out good then what do you have to loose. if it wioks then great if it doesnt thel pull the pumkin and send it to the shop to get it fixed.

G

If it's a looseened pinion nut that could be the source of your leak too