• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Im not waving at new Broncos, anymore.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
... and this is why I kinda have a problem with Gen 6 at events... not the same is it? Not the same experiences, not the same vehicle & no real commonality.
I disagree, how else are the owners going to learn the true wealth of our community? Yes the goofy little Ford truck is the denominator that brings us together, the wealth of knowledge, experience and comradery is what makes it great, enough so that many times the vehicle is just part of it and not the driving force.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Some folks are just more interested in newer technology than old vintage “stuff”. They don’t give a rip about an old Bronco with a 3 speed on the column…..

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I disagree, how else are the owners going to learn the true wealth of our community? Yes the goofy little Ford truck is the denominator that brings us together, the wealth of knowledge, experience and comradery is what makes it great, enough so that many times the vehicle is just part of it and not the driving force.

Easily seen both ways for sure. :) My thought is where do you stop tho before it's too big to have nothing but small groups that will never meet the others because it's trying to be so inclusive of all?

Part of it really is the numbers. I totally enjoy meeting new people & going wheeling... 25 + rigs on a trail run tho? Turns into the Heep Safari soon with thousands... I tend to like it more personal and one type of vehicle to share the commonality of the Bronco I guess-not just in name.

Just my opinion and I respect all others.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have guys in new broncos breaking their neck to get a look at my 77 bronco and on the other hand there are a lot of middle age blond women driving bronco s where I live and they don’t have a clue not stereotyping or picking in one group of people just the facts. Haaa

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Easily seen both ways for sure. :) My thought is where do you stop tho before it's too big to have nothing but small groups that will never meet the others because it's trying to be so inclusive of all?

Part of it really is the numbers. I totally enjoy meeting new people & going wheeling... 25 + rigs on a trail run tho? Turns into the Heep Safari soon with thousands... I tend to like it more personal and one type of vehicle to share the commonality of the Bronco I guess-not just in name.

Just my opinion and I respect all others.
You mean like super celebration already is? While it is a large event, as far as large automotive events go, it’s pretty small. I do get it, it gets hard to meet new folks, gets harder to organize and often harder to attend. I’m to the point unless it is convenient, I’ll do a larger organized event 1x per year and spend the rest of the time doing small unorganized things. But you have to meet those folks somewhere, and some folks need that push of a big event to be motivated.

helo-mech

I think it’s a numbers game. There are going to be more new Bronco drivers than anything we will ever see with our EBs. Not all of these new Bronco drivers are even looking around at what is past the dash. They aren’t ever going to be car people or care about the history of the name. Same with Jeeps. The majority of Jeep drivers don’t know or care anything about the history of a jeep or what it can or can’t do off-road. They drive a jeep cause it’s cool to drive.

Ford did a good job marketing, and dragging their feet, with the new Bronco. The fact they through the same name on an Escape crossover doesn’t help the overall numbers either.

There’s just more of them on the road and the majority of them bought it cause it’s new and cool. Some might recall a relative having a Bronco back in the day but those same people would point to a Scout and mistake it for an EB.

I had a Jeep, and enjoyed it, but the waving thing never really appealed to me. With everything from a stock 4 banger to lifted on 22’s throwing their hand up I always laughed knowing that in any other setting I, nor the other person, would think twice about acknowledging each other.

The Bronco drivers that want to be part of the historical Bronco experience will find their way to it. The guy below I turned off the highway to grab a crappy pic at a gas station beside my ‘76. He and his family couldn’t believe it when I offered to take some time to drive a block for a better spot.

I’ve had a couple of Sport drivers approach too. And while I may not have taken any pics myself, I figure they get something about the history, so I try to hang and chat with them as well.

Attachments

• 74F221F8-8C75-4226-95A1-07769B983CC9.jpeg
    74F221F8-8C75-4226-95A1-07769B983CC9.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 30BC41E4-623B-4E40-BC3F-7F12AE7446CC.jpeg
    30BC41E4-623B-4E40-BC3F-7F12AE7446CC.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 38

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've had several jeeps as daily drivers - from a stock TJ to a nicely modded Rubicon Recon. I happily waved back when waved to and I would sometimes initiate the wave to other modded jeeps that looked like they actually went off road. Sometimes my wife would initiate the wave from the passenger seat! LOL It's a nice friendly tradition for jeep owners. Also I have been known to to wave at jeeps - again ones that are used off road - when driving my early Bronco. I don't consider this the "jeep wave" but more of an aknkowlegment to a fellow off roader.

An interesting thing about the new Bronco wave, and assuming its a carryover from jeepers, is that if the "wave protocol" is followed, then the newer Bronco (Gen6) should initiate the wave to the older Bronco (early Bronco). In the jeep community this is supposedly a sign of respect of the newer model to the older model.

Dne007

Contributor
This would be a psychologists dream study! perhaps people are just too wrapped up in the glamour, tech, solidarity of being in these. I am a waver! and thumbs up person. I see a vehicle that inspires me, I wave or thumbs up and perhaps a smile if close enough. Ever notice in new cars how high up the top of the door is on most cars, we actually are very low, or it's very high; I'm talking about where we used to place our elbow when riding with the widow down?
But I really have to work on getting returns

I love being noticed and perhaps why I choose vehicles to do just that, but also to take grandkids around it, and projects to keep me active in my retirement years.
1655994786439.png

When I had my TL1000s, I had a custom set of leathers made in Bogota' Columbia and I thought I was pretty sharp.

1655994826170.png

Probably the most noted vehicle that I really get noticed in, my car, not me, is my '67 Mustang~ it gets the waves, horn toots and thumbs up!

1655995019589.png

It's a very interesting topic, thanks for bringing it up~ it hurts my feeling not to get a wave or thumbs up!!
dne'

syndicate1

Contributor
This thread is funny… This morning I drove my ‘74 to get coffee, a new “baby”Bronco Sport passed from the opposite direction and the driver waived…. I didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Anytime I see a older vehicle on the road I give a thumbs up. I understand what it takes to keep it on the road all those years. It doesn't matter if it's something I would want to drive or a color-mod I would pick. Car people are that way. Many appreciate it others have the I'm to cool for you attitude, since I'm driving a DD or whatever. I let them be them and me be me.

Some aren't car people and drive whatever they think looks cool this week. It's going to be traded off before it's paid off and has no real meaning to them other them thinking it looked cool when they brought it. That's fine, for each their own. Those that get it appreciate it, those that don't will drive on doing what they do.

Enjoy your ride whatever it is. prius in 60 years.jpg

Last edited:

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Anytime I see a older vehicle on the road I give a thumbs up. I understand what it takes to keep it on the road all those years. It doesn't matter if it's something I would want to drive or a color-mod I would pick. Car people are that way. Many appreciate it others have the I'm to cool for you attitude, since I'm driving a DD or whatever. I let them be them and me be me.

100% agree with this.

I wave at anything that looks like it took some time and effort into building. Motorcycles, hot rods, 4x4's of any make. I've always explained it as the "I feel your pain" wave :) showing a comradery and understanding the time, talent and money it took to build and maintain something cool.
Don't really wave at anything new but that's just me....

syndicate1

Contributor
Somebody was in a new bronco today in Lakeside Arizona and they were waving at me pretty crazy I was in my 77 bronco

Yeah, owners of the new bronco are pretty crazy.

d6a55ecc9e27e589750e7ec2806e142c.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
While I do agree, I don't think they give to shits about the old ones as they in no way can relate to the rust and the lack of parts over the years we had to put up with..

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Lots of discussion on the G6 facebook forums on waving or what type of jeep wave can we come up with, and oh what can we do similar to leaving ducks on broncos!?

Jeebus! Make it stop please, I will wave at any rig that strikes my fancy, but leave the jeep bullshit with the jeeps please...

So, I hear some will be leaving little plastic horseys and some have adopted the six shooter wave, good lord!

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
chances are, if you have an early bronco.....you built it. you earned it. buying a new one off the showroom floor doesnt get you that respect. new broncos will always be inferior to me. just my opinion
This. You don't buy a Bronco, you earn it. I'm not waving at a Yuppie whose biggest project was writing the check.