• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In the market for a bronco hauler.... Thoughts?

msmith

House,
I chewed up a set of factory bump stops before I became more aware. These make a world of difference:
https://youtu.be/55jF7iPqmXY

OP,
I'm running with 37's, front at mid-perch and tow no problem with the 6.2. I realize you are not looking for a used Raptor, but they do make the F250 with the 6.2 still. It may be something to think about...though I think the 5.0 in a F150 will get a lot better fuel mileage.

I put these on my 07 F250 because it didn't have overload springs. They work well.

Load leveling hitches are another option as are airbags.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I towed with a v-10 excursion for years. It did just fine. Now I have a 6.7 F350 and we’ll, there is no comparison. I should have upgraded years ago. Good luck with your truck, I hope you have no issues at the dealer and find what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Have you ever noticed that everybody who has ACTUALLY towed with an F150 is now driving a Power Stroke?

The overflow lot at the Bronco Round Up last month looked like an F350 convention. I'm not going to go into ALL of the reasons NOT to tow with an F150. I'm just going to focus on one.

The reason why you don't tow with an F150 is because of the rear axle bearing. The cylindrical bearing is the worst idea EVER implemented in a pickup truck, and they absolutely suck. This is the bearing that fails every time it is actually used. The R1561TV is the evolution of the original c-clip style axle bearing used in GM passenger cars since 1964. It is a derivation of the Timken 5707 bearing, that continued to get bigger (not better) over time. The Timken 5707 was used as a rear axle bearing from 1964-2011.

These cylindrical bearings rely on the axle shaft itself to be the inner "race" of the bearing. As such, as they wear...they eat the axle shaft. Once they wear out the case hardened surface of the axle shaft, they eat thru the shaft themselves. Then the axle end falls off. Fortunately, modern trucks have the disc brake caliper available to keep the wheel from bouncing down the highway. They are DESIGNED to FAIL.

In 1964, the GM 10 bolt had the 5707 at 1.401 inch diameter. It grew to 1.622 (Timken 6408 in the explorer and ford 8.8) and finally got to 1.705 inch by the time it found its way into the mid 80's semi-float F250 and Econoline. This cylindrical design is SO BAD...that they actually list sleeve and repair kits as a service part. (as if it were normal...)

So the axle shaft is now almost 1-3/4 in diameter out at the end. And they still don't last. It's a stupid design for an axle that carries a load. It has no business on a truck. It turns out that the most arrogant engineers on the planet are the one's that work for Tier 1 OEM suppliers to Automotive. OEM engineers have to live with their failures, but Tier 1's believe that their poop doesn't stink. Every horrible idea that has found it's way into a production vehicle was promoted as a low cost alternative by an incompetent tier 1 supplier. Someday I am going to make a list of colossial tier 1 fails. It will include unit bearing, c-clip axle, 700-R4, Dana 35, TTB, and anything Getrag.

Pickup trucks are the reason why the term "use and occasional misuse" was invented. I want my truck to be running long after I use it. Get a full float rear axle in your truck.

2006 Mega Cab Cummins for the win...

Attachments

• F26145AE-604E-4ABF-9903-BED58C4DB313.jpg
    F26145AE-604E-4ABF-9903-BED58C4DB313.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am using a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine.
It gets 12 miles per gallon whether I tow or not, lol.
But it never feels underpowered and it was "A Lot" cheaper than the Power Stroke Diesel F250 I was considering.

msmith

I am using a 2012 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine.
It gets 12 miles per gallon whether I tow or not, lol.
But it never feels underpowered and it was "A Lot" cheaper than the Power Stroke Diesel F250 I was considering.

If I ever, and I hope it's a long way off, buy another new truck, it will be an F350 with the 7.3 gasser. The government has taken the joy out of diesel ownership. I've been driving diesels since the early 90s for work and have been a diesel owner since 97 having had a first and second gen 7.3, a 6.0 and now a 6.7. The mileage on diesel is better but the price of fuel is higher, oil changes are more, you have to add DEF about every 5000 miles, and the initial cost is much higher. That and you can get regular gas at any station but sometimes you have to hunt for diesel.

I will always have a one ton for towing though as dynamic loads such as water and cattle are spooky enough without using a half ton lol. Those that have hauled a #2k+ bull down the interstate at 70mph and have him decide to shift around to get comfortable know.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If I ever, and I hope it's a long way off, buy another new truck, it will be an F350 with the 7.3 gasser. The government has taken the joy out of diesel ownership. I've been driving diesels since the early 90s for work and have been a diesel owner since 97 having had a first and second gen 7.3, a 6.0 and now a 6.7. The mileage on diesel is better but the price of fuel is higher, oil changes are more, you have to add DEF about every 5000 miles, and the initial cost is much higher. That and you can get regular gas at any station but sometimes you have to hunt for diesel.

I will always have a one ton for towing though as dynamic loads such as water and cattle are spooky enough without using a half ton lol. Those that have hauled a #2k+ bull down the interstate at 70mph and have him decide to shift around to get comfortable know.

Yes Sir.

I did the math and while I love a diesel it just didn't make sense for me.
The 6.2 has nearly 400hp and it pulls the eb fine.
And you're right about diesels getting regulated into not being a lot of fun anymore. Still love them but Yea.....if you're using a diesel these days it's because you really need it. Not as many Rhinestone Cowboys buying diesel trucks as there were just 10 or 12 years ago.

mjschneidy

I want an F150 I believe but I am torn between the 5.0 or the 2.7 Ecoboost. I have read that most ecoboost problems are not really problems anymore with the 2nd generation motors... I won't be pulling often but if I get something that can pull I will be making some of the western show trips. Im trying to keep my price for a full size around 40k but could go up to 45 or so... I will say it sure is hard to find an F150 with 6.5 foot bed... Who on here is pulling broncos on a trailer with an F150? Are you satisfied? What motor do you have?

I personally prefer the torque of the 3.5L eco boost over the 5.0L. We just towed from from Michigan to the Ford Nationals in PA over the weekend 7hrs each way. Those hills in PA are no joke. I prefer to run with flow of traffic when towing and this truck does it well. It has the max trailer tow pkg and 3.55 gears. I was easily able to accelerate going up some of the steepest areas. Avg about 13.5 while towing on that trip. I’ve had 5.0L’s and other 3.5L’s, the 3.5 is my preference. I should add I work for Ford so a bit bias but I’ve been in a lot of trucks. Happy to help if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 299A6897-A40F-4FBE-A3F0-3237469843E3.jpg
    299A6897-A40F-4FBE-A3F0-3237469843E3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 29

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I personally prefer the torque of the 3.5L eco boost over the 5.0L. We just towed from from Michigan to the Ford Nationals in PA over the weekend 7hrs each way. Those hills in PA are no joke. I prefer to run with flow of traffic when towing and this truck does it well. It has the max trailer tow pkg and 3.55 gears. I was easily able to accelerate going up some of the steepest areas. Avg about 13.5 while towing on that trip. I’ve had 5.0L’s and other 3.5L’s, the 3.5 is my preference. I should add I work for Ford so a bit bias but I’ve been in a lot of trucks. Happy to help if you have any questions.

fixed for ya...

no issues w/my eco boost either.. running at 109k miles now. 2014

Attachments

• Msch.jpg
    Msch.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 33

broncomikem

I just bought a 2012 F 150 with the 5.0, 150,000 miles, pulled my Bronco on my flatbed trailer through some fairly good hills, Bronco sits on 40's and tons. I have previously owned big block and diesel 3/4 ton pick ups. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the 5.0 pulled. Also, I put E rated tires on it which I feel helps with handling with the trailer.

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
I just bought a 2012 F 150 with the 5.0, 150,000 miles, pulled my Bronco on my flatbed trailer through some fairly good hills, Bronco sits on 40's and tons. I have previously owned big block and diesel 3/4 ton pick ups. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the 5.0 pulled. Also, I put E rated tires on it which I feel helps with handling with the trailer.

E rated Michelins have made a world of difference for me! That and the Timbren overload springs. I am running a 2011 F150 5.5ft box crew cab with the 5.0. I have a 5 Ton rated Hudson deckover trailer that weighs in empty at 2900lbs. I just got back from moving about 5,000lbs of lumber from North Georgia back to central Virginia. Empty going down I got almost 14 MPG, coming back up loaded I averaged around 12.5. I run with traffic some but hang around 70MPH max speed if I can help it. The truck pulls exceptionally well for what it is. It likes the RPM's and doesn't seem to be happy until you get to about 3K or so. I have put roughly 20K miles pulling this trailer and others over the last few years. It is a perfect occasional bronco hauler. I am working it a little harder than I likely should at this point, but for now, it will have to do.

One thing to note, if you go the Ecoboost route, picking up a used Ecoboost to swap in if you have engine problems is tough to do. My dad has a 2011 3.5 ecoboost that lost compression and needed a rebuild at 170k or so. Well he is still trying to get the truck back together after buying a reman engine that took for ever to get. No good options on a used one we could find that were reasonable. The 5.0 seems to be more plentiful in the wrecking yards, etc.