• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Explorer serp setup - Alternator question

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Switching out the Vbelt stuff for the Explorer setup, trying to have a good handle on everything before I start. Currently I have a 3G alternator that I got years ago, installed when I put in the painless harness, not in front of it right now but from what I remember it has the positive cable to the battery and then 1 wire connected in the plug...and also maybe a ground?. Doing this swap will require a 4G alternator, which I have bought, what is different or does it just plug in? Seems I read the plug on the back is the same???

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As I recall on mine, the 4G has the battery cable and one wire from the ALT light that energizes the field to make it charge. Seems like it had the same connector as the 3G, but I'm not sure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same connector, but two wires instead of three.
1. Yellow w/white wire to the battery (or as most do it, to the BAT post of the alternator).
2. Green w/red to switched power from the key. Should be hot in ON only, not in ACC.
3. The White w/black Stator wire no longer has a place to go like it did on the 3G.
If you have a 4G connector it will not have the Stator wire. If you're re-using a 3G connector just leave it hanging safely tucked away.

Paul

mustanggarage

Contributor
I went with a 1 wire alternator since I am using an american autowire wiring harness. KISS principle you know.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies
Going to start on the swap this weekend. I've been listening to a squealing belt since 2005...looking forward to NOT hearing it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't jinx it! You might end up being the first to have a squealing Explorer serp setup!;);D

Paul