• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intermittent wiper problem

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
I just installed the intermittent wiper mod and both the slow and fast speeds work fine, but the delay is giving me trouble. I moved the black/grey wire into the empty slot and hooked up a clean ground but on delay it either moves a few inches in pulses, not returning to the home position or just runs like it's on the slow setting without stopping. It will alternate between these two simptoms for about a minute at each one. I think I might have a bad delay module but my wipers would sometimes fail to return to the home position before I changed switch. Any advice? It's supposed to rain tomorrow. :mad:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
ROKDWLR said:
I just installed the intermittent wiper mod and both the slow and fast speeds work fine, but the delay is giving me trouble. I moved the black/grey wire into the empty slot and hooked up a clean ground but on delay it either moves a few inches in pulses, not returning to the home position or just runs like it's on the slow setting without stopping. It will alternate between these two simptoms for about a minute at each one. I think I might have a bad delay module but my wipers would sometimes fail to return to the home position before I changed switch. Any advice? It's supposed to rain tomorrow. :mad:

Hey Rob, the fact that your wipers were flakey when parking before is the clue. The delay box depends on the park circuit to work. Essentially the way it works is that a capacitor charges up at a rate determined by the switch position. When it hits capacity it momentarily closes a relay that sends power through the park circuit. Which causes the wipers to go through one cycle, at which point they park again. Meanwhile the cap recharges until it repeats the cycle. If the park mechanism has issues, it will mess with that logic. The problem must be in or near the motor, not the switch since changing the switch didn't fix it. Make sure the black wire going to the motor is in good shape all the way and that the plug at the motor is also clean and connected. If those things don't fix the problem, you need to open the motor (carefully) and locate the little bits that comprise the park circuit, then clean the contacts. Make sure the motor itself is well-grounded to the windshield frame and you should be cured.

OP
OP
ROKDWLR

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Lars,

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll do a search on park position and check out the motor after work.

Craig

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
ROKDWLR said:
Lars,

Thank you for your wisdom. I'll do a search on park position and check out the motor after work.

Craig

Let me know, now I'm curious. And, :-[ my post was supposed to say "Rok", not "Rob". Did you ever get your rear suspension sorted?

OP
OP
ROKDWLR

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Lars,

I'm too burned out to mess with the wipers tonight. I'm working this weekend so I'm not sure when I can check the motor but thanks again for the starting point.

The rear suspension works great with 4 1/2" leafs, 6 deg. shims & inboard hoop. I copied you and am very happy with the height. It should sit perfect with the rear bumper and spare. If Keith keeps his promise my rear plate bumper will hit WH this week. I have the shocks at the widest setting and about 5" from the leafs at the axle. They're 25-30 deg. and body roll is no problem. I really like Todd's new mount. Did you notice any change from your old hoop?

Craig

OP
OP
ROKDWLR

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
Hey Matt. How did it go with the heavy equiptment company? And did you get your Guardian front bumper mounted yet? Thanks again for hooking me up with the delay switch! Craig