• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Investment or money pit?

crab

Bronco Guru
So I’m one of the original enthusiasts that just loves working on and driving EB’s. I never saw them as an investment, cutting up a couple Rangers over the years.
I was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and pretty much had to kiss my custom home building career goodbye. So I picked up a ‘70 Sport to work on and keep me moving. Now that times/values have changed, especially with the Corona Virus and the new Bronco hitting the market soon, I’m trying to decide what to do with it keeping in mind, it will be sold, so trying to figure out what is the most important thing people are looking for besides minimal rust. Here’s my plan, let me know what you think.
1970 Bronco Sport
Mostly original Reef Aqua paint With nice patina.
The hood has rust in the front lip, so it’s going to a body shop to weld in a new piece and repaint rather then aftermarket crap. I’ve stripped it and it’s perfect otherwise.
The drivers rear quarter had a whip antenna leaving a 1” hole in the quarter. Also looks like there was some work done there 30 years ago that meeds attention. My though is to have the hole welded up and blend below the belt line as needed. Or leave it in case somebody wants to add uncut quarters. It’s the only flaw on the body, so annoying. What would you do!
I’ve removed the aftermarket seats replacing with originals that I had in the attic in good condition, no rips or bad stains. Is it worth having the originals rebuilt for $1000 or let the buyer decide?
The floor is actually in really good shape. The drivers pan is split on the seam but otherwise structurally sound. I’ve repaired the seam with SS flashing for now. There is some scale but nothing needing replaced. Trying to decide if I install a vinyl floor or carpet kit to make visually appealing with pics showing what’s underneath. What would you do to add value?
I’m replacing the windshield which is the only gasket that doesn’t have the sport trim. Do I buy the trim for $200 or just put the grooved gasket in with the new windshield?
Dash pad is shot. Remove or put in a new one for $350-$400?
Right now, it’s stock manual drum brakes all the way around that work as they should. Is it worth adding power disc?
The front Axle is the odd 1970 Dana 44 with king pins which I see no reason to change. The rear is a SB with new carrier and some kind of limited slip. No noises or vibrations.
I was told the entire drivetrain including the engine was rebuilt 6k miles ago and is actually a 289. Not sure how to know for sure either way. Runs strong but needs a few gaskets replaced from sitting.
3speed with hurst floor shifter. Shifts good. Would it be worth the hassle upgrading to a C4 or newer manual? I don’t mind the 3speed and think it’s too personal of a choice to change. Especially since it works good the way it is.
I’m going to remove the ‘90’s wheels and 35” tires and put a set of 33’s on 15x8 slots (U.S. mags)
I’m really tempted to sell my ‘77 or ‘68 and restore this ‘70, but I restored a ‘70 20 years ago and not sure I could do it again in my condition. I don’t know when I would sell this one and I’m no hurry. Just curious what most people would like to see if they were looking for a project with out going overboard getting it there.
I want to leave original as possible letting the buyer see it in the “raw”. No line-x etc
Any input would be appreciated.
Here’s a few pics.

Attachments

• AF1F2525-B5D1-4D62-84BA-A3B3E0EF472C.jpg
    AF1F2525-B5D1-4D62-84BA-A3B3E0EF472C.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 188
  • A86A1642-2B8C-4249-89A6-0592A81073AC.jpg
    A86A1642-2B8C-4249-89A6-0592A81073AC.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 145
  • 35A6ECC3-3582-4E6A-A956-82D7727A5AEC.jpg
    35A6ECC3-3582-4E6A-A956-82D7727A5AEC.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 5B9FEC97-3EF9-4B42-82D6-EBCDAEC54545.jpg
    5B9FEC97-3EF9-4B42-82D6-EBCDAEC54545.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 36841969-9031-4F62-A179-F347122A6F53.jpg
    36841969-9031-4F62-A179-F347122A6F53.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 141
  • B3C15AC4-4117-45B3-B83A-1D109D6880BC.jpg
    B3C15AC4-4117-45B3-B83A-1D109D6880BC.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 7028E6CB-BCF0-49AD-9774-2FCCC92EC862.jpg
    7028E6CB-BCF0-49AD-9774-2FCCC92EC862.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 135
  • B6ABD46D-82E0-4C22-857C-419463C312C9.jpg
    B6ABD46D-82E0-4C22-857C-419463C312C9.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 127

elan

Loc.
s
Addressing your title. Investment is a tricky word to use when it comes to old vehicles. Perhaps the term check book draining. The pictured vehicle appears to be modified quite a bit. So, I don't think it matters what you do to it.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I'd put it on the market as is!!! It's a fairly solid looking rig and anyone can see what their getting.

Reading your thoughts, I believe you will be creating a money pit, much that you won't get back!!!

Just my thoughts!!! Sorry to hear about the cancer thing!!! Good luck!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
Addressing your title. Investment is a tricky word to use when it comes to old vehicles. Perhaps the term check book draining. The pictured vehicle appears to be modified quite a bit. So, I don't think it matters what you do to it.

You’re right. Investment may not be the correct term, unless they keep going up in value like the Ford Cobra :)
This would be an easy one to return to stock adding rear quarters and front fenders. It has a 3.5” WH suspension, but other then that, it’s pretty stock. The door posts are solid and quarter bed seams are clean! I guess the bigger question is at what price point do people quit looking at a bronco as “a project” based on condition (I’ll give as much info/pics as you want)? What are the most important things you consider when buying a “project” before it’s not worth it?
I’ll figure out the wording and likely have to start a new thread :)

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
I'd put it on the market as is!!! It's a fairly solid looking rig and anyone can see what their getting.

Reading your thoughts, I believe you will be creating a money pit, much that you won't get back!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I really enjoy working on them and pretty good at it, so I don’t care about my time. I’ve repaired all the wiring (correctly) so everything works like it should. There were 7 broken hinge bolts which I painstakingly drilled out and was able to save all of them! Replacing with stainless and anti seize.
Yea, the hood will cost around $1k, but it will be perfect and to me one of the most important body lines fitting the fenders and grill.
I actually took the factory seats out of my 77 and replaced with a better set that I had. Those are the seats from my 77 in the pic. The ones in the 77 now are much nicer, so I’m going to recover the original 77 seats and put them back in the 77 (the seat tag on the bottom matches the marti buck date). So that’s not costing anything. I just think the stock seats make it more appealing then the aftermarkets that were in it.
I’ll put more ideas below

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
So a better question is.....is it worth putting $5k into it and if so, where for the best return? I think a carpet kit or vinyl floor would clean it up a lot, especially for someone who just wants to drive it the way it is. I just don’t know how important things like that (dash pad etc) are to most people? $500 here and there adds up quick!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

X2.. Stay strong, it does get better..

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I’m very fortunate to be here. They gave me 6 months 4 years ago this coming June 1. Apparently they didn’t know I’m not quite finished here. I wouldn’t have met sprdv1 if they were right! Hard to believe!

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear about your situation. My 2 cents is to sell it as is after the hood fix.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Crab, I am sorry to hear about your Big C diagnosis...

I think the market probably has changed with the C-19 and the way the economy is going. Suddenly it seems that more Broncos are on the market. People may not being the market for $50K - 100K builds any more and will be looking for something solid to just drive and fix up slowly. It took me 6 months to find a buyer for my 71...
Obviously fixing the floors, bodywork, disc brakes all ad to the value, but... will people have the money for it? I don't think so...

Best to make it mechanically sound, like you have done, document what needs done, drive and enjoy it or sell it. If you start a restoration, and your condition changes, then an apart project brings less money. But then only you can answer how much gas is in your tank for taking on this project... Personally, I like its patina.

Doug