• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is a 69 cobra jet worth sleeving.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A 390 would easily fit where a 428 was installed at the factory. A 429 would use a different transmission and motor mounts. The OP never addressed the fact that he either has a '69 428 CJ, a '69 429 that is not a CJ, or he doesn't know what he has. I'm surprised so few on this forum are aware of what muscle cars built in the '60s- early '70s. Ford did use 429s through '97 in big trucks. These were EFI engines with steel cranks. None of this has anything to do with the OP's question that is seriously flawed because he's asking about an engine doesn't exist. I suspect the reason he never clarified his question is embarrassment.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Maybe the OP's talking about a T-Bird. I recall they got 429's in 69 where the Stangs were still getting the FE's

FE was killed off in 76 rather the FT was which was really a 391 vs a 390 like I have

Either way, the machine shop did him or whomever wrong by not knowing what the block could handle as far as an over......

If it's a rare block, sleeve it. Nothing wrong with sleeves. Every aluminum block out there has sleeves.

Tim

69_Sport

In '68 on Ford made both 429 and 460 big car engines, IE Lincolns and T-Birds. They were neither performance or truck engines. The 429 CJ and SCJs made in '70-'71 were performance engines. The ports and valves were too large so they didn't run as well as the 428s and 427s. Ford won many NASCAR races with the FE engines, and none with the 429 wedges. They weren't allowed to use the Boss 429s because NASCAR thought it had too much advantage over the Chrysler Hemis. About that time a 350 CI with restricter plates became the NASCAR engine.

Ford wasn't allowed to use the BOSS 429 in NASCAR? Tell that to David Pearson. He won the '69 championship with one!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
By the early '70s NASCAR was becoming anything but stock car racing. I'm afraid I lost interest. Gone were the days you could buy a car nearly identical to those in the race. Now they race cars that don't share a single part with what's in the show room. So congratulation you found a mistake. Is that why you read threads? Pathetic.

69_Sport

By the early '70s NASCAR was becoming anything but stock car racing. I'm afraid I lost interest. Gone were the days you could buy a car nearly identical to those in the race. Now they race cars that don't share a single part with what's in the show room. So congratulation you found a mistake. Is that why you read threads? Pathetic.

If you're going to spout history, at least learn it.

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

Im not wanting to start a war. Yes it was a typo, it is a 69 mustang all original 428 CJ. Everything is rebuilt to shot quality. Fan, shroud, radiator....every little detail. Bit it runs hot.
The owner no longer cares about what engine is in it. He just wants it to run cool and be drivable. The 390 is his idea. Im sure he would give me the 482 cj block and heads. That is why i was asking. If i recieve the block, should i sleeve it and keep it? Or, what would the value in it be?
What would be the best replacement for overall divability and reliability without taking too much away from the overall nostalgia?
But, he also wants to add an efi, but retain the shaker hood.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, most of the Cobra Jet parts will bolt on to any of the 390 and larger FE blocks. Heads, crank, rods manifolds, etc.
Ford used different ways to balance these engines, so whoever builds the finished engines needs to sort out the balancers, flywheels, and any external weights.
Personally, I would not be to attached to the block, just the hard to find Cobra Jet parts.
Good luck

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If the owner just wants an engine that will not overheat then a 390FE is a quick and easy swap. Most people will not know it's not correct for the car. Everything will bolt up. The cracks can be used but are different but heads and intake headers and valve train work great.

Now as to car value with the incorrect engine, well it hurts the value bigtime IMO.

The block value depends. To the guy restoring a 69 and needs a date code correct block it might be golden but you have to find that guy. I got some old 390FE parts stashed from my build because it's not being made anymore and some somewhere might need it and pay well for it.

Tim

rmk57

If it's all original Cobra-Jet car in my opinion it would be worth it to find a correct date coded 428 CJ block and swap everything over. You should be able to find a standard bore or .030 bare block for $1500-2000, plus another set of pistons and rings of coarse.

Your right about taking a big hit if you sell it with a 390 in it, more than the $3000-4000 to make it right with a CJ.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I ask a couple of tech friends how they felt about sleeving all 8 holes. They were like me no problem other than for the DOLLARS.
bUT THAT BLOCK IS PROBABLY HARF TO LOCATE ...

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Im not wanting to start a war. Yes it was a typo, it is a 69 mustang all original 428 CJ. Everything is rebuilt to shot quality. Fan, shroud, radiator....every little detail. Bit it runs hot.
The owner no longer cares about what engine is in it. He just wants it to run cool and be drivable. The 390 is his idea. Im sure he would give me the 482 cj block and heads. That is why i was asking. If i recieve the block, should i sleeve it and keep it? Or, what would the value in it be?
What would be the best replacement for overall divability and reliability without taking too much away from the overall nostalgia?
But, he also wants to add an efi, but retain the shaker hood.

As mentioned, 428's have some value, especially to guys looking for an original block for their Cobra or Mustang.

As also mentioned, a 390 is a no-brainer for a swap. Plentiful, inexpensive, and bolt-in. If he wants something with cubes, Barry Rabotnik at Survival Motorsports in Detroit makes a mean 447 stroker. Based on a 390 block, he can build them mild to wild.

I've got a 428 in my Fairlane GT convt that runs hot, too, but probably just needs a fan shroud and maybe timing backed off.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 428 CJ and Super CJ blocks are the same and different from other 428 blocks. The CJ, SCJ and PI blocks have extra ribs in the main bearing webs and a big C cast into the back of the block over the starter motor cut out. other 428s don't have these. Do you know if this Mustang was a CJ or Super CJ there's a big difference in the crank and rods. Either way the block is valuable and worth a sleeve or 2. The even more valuable 427 side oilers are usually sleeved. Everything about the engine is high dollar ie. heads, intake, carb, crank, rods, exhaust manifolds, and air cleaner. These blocks had the vin# stamped in the back just below the head gasket. The C6 transmissions also had the vin stamped at the top of the bell housing. CJ C6s have a cast iron tail housing and an R cast on the 2nd gear servo cover. All these parts demand a premium price.

rmk57

390 had a 4.05 bore 428 have a 4.13 bore. If you think you can bore a 390 block .080 all the power to you.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
390 had a 4.05 bore 428 have a 4.13 bore. If you think you can bore a 390 block .080 all the power to you.

You absolutely can if you pick the right block (I think we sonic checked 3 or 4 before we found one that would work). That's what I have in my 66 Fairlane - a 390 bored .080 with a 428 crank.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would like to know more about the OP's engine. How much was it bored and if it was sonic checked before the bore. How hot is hot?

My 390 is 40 over and that's as far as she can go. She don't like long red lights on hot summer days. Temps creep but has never overheated. Per the mechanical gauge 220-225. Enough to make you start to worry......Then again, my EFI Bronco runs 200-210 by design so "Hot" is a relative term.

Tim

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 19

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
The industrial / truck 429 was actually 370 cubic inches and has nothing in common with the regular car 429-460. The one thing they have that is somewhat desirable is the crankshaft. The stroke is 3.59, same as a 429 and their forged steel. Machine the front snout down to use a 429-460 dampener
and you yourself a pretty stout piece.

I wonder why the engine is running hot?I have read that they are a thin wall casting block and shouldn't be bored over .030.You need all of the extra or removed cooling capacity on any of the CJ engines whether a 385 series or a 359 series.Unless you have water in the oil I would be looking for the running hot issue.

rmk57

I've never heard of a 429-460 that cant go .060 over. There are a lot of stroker kits that use .080 overbore on these engines. 4.44 bore / 4.50 stroke makes 557 cubes, pretty common.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I would like to know more about the OP's engine. How much was it bored and if it was sonic checked before the bore. How hot is hot?

My 390 is 40 over and that's as far as she can go. She don't like long red lights on hot summer days. Temps creep but has never overheated. Per the mechanical gauge 220-225. Enough to make you start to worry......Then again, my EFI Bronco runs 200-210 by design so "Hot" is a relative term.

Tim

We're going to need to see some pics of the rest of that car!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
In spite of what some have said the exhaust manifolds are effective and high dollar. They have a unique bolt pattern and CJ heads are the only FEs that share this bolt pattern. Any 428CJ car deserves a 428CJ engine. Perspective buyers will pay for correct parts to be included. A 390 in a CJ car cuts the value far more than the cost of sleaving the original.