• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is the stock bronco gauge good to use with a 351w? ( oil pressure )

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
My 89 351w is hooked up and when it's running the stock pressure gauge is maxed. Do these gauges work with this sender? What has everyone else done?

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Should work fine. I used the one that came with my '94. Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the one that came with yours might be for an idiot light?

EDIT: Viperwolf is the electrical (and everything else) guru around here, so I would stick with his advice.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
New 351w in my 69 Bronco from a 1996 F250.

Installed replacement sender for a 69 Bronco. Works great.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
I used a new 302 Bronco stock replacement engine harness on my 351w.

Installed New stock replacement sensors too.

Looks like it was there from the factory. NO modifications of the harness needed.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Read this whole thread. It seems that owners have succumbed to the 351W is better thing. The 351W is just another SBF. Nothing more. Most of the external parts are interchangeable with the 289/302. Also there are a couple of distinct advantages of the 289/302 over the 351W. BTW, all small block Ford motors are Ws and my 302 will go wherever your 351 can.

I did not know the 351 Cleveland was a big block. Learn something new every day!

As for the 351W vs. 302 debate, the 351W block has more potential and is stronger than the 302. The longer stroke is better for low end torque. The 302's shorter stroke allows for faster rev's. Yes, they are both small blocks, but not the same block. Very similar, yes, but not identical. Lots of shared components I will agree with. Not saying a 302 won't get you there, but a 351 will do it with less stress.

I am wondering what distinct advantages you are talking about? 351's usually get better gas mileage in Bronco's as they are less stressed, and you don't need the skinny pedal as much, so that's not it. Only thing I can think of is its ability to rev, which isn't exactly that important in an off road vehicle. On the street, especially in a Mustang or similar, the free revving engine is a blast, but not so much in a Bronco. Desert racing, maybe.

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Read this whole thread. It seems that owners have succumbed to the 351W is better thing. The 351W is just another SBF. Nothing more. Most of the external parts are interchangeable with the 289/302. Also there are a couple of distinct advantages of the 289/302 over the 351W. BTW, all small block Ford motors are Ws and my 302 will go wherever your 351 can.

Maybe you got the wrong thread? This is a troubleshooting which sender coupled with gauge works. No one said one word about the 351 being better. I got my question answered thanks viper and all, I bought 74 replacements and temp fit in, oil just adapted out of way of oil filter.

Cheers