• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there such a thing as...

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
...a big bearing full width 28 spline axle? My recent purchase from Pull N Save is a ful width 9" from under an early 70's F100. I measured the bolts on the back of the backing plate and it appeared to be a big bearing rear end. Took it apart and the bearings appear to be big bearing as well, but the shafts are 28 spline. The axle shafts taper down to the splines

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
So, are you saying the housing that I have (the one that had the 28 spline axles) may be a big bearing housing

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I don't think they started putting 31 spline axles in them until 73. They put a lot of 28 spline axles in big bearing EB's so I don't see any reason they would not have used 28 spline axles in pickups as well.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's fairly common to see a 28 spline big bearing in early 70's pick-ups.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
That's what I have in mine, it's a good setup, you get the 11x 2.25 rear drums, and the rear axles are both the same length so you only have to carry one spare. If you don't tell anyone they probably won't notice that it's not an EB rear end.
Tom