• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this safe?

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Has anyone towed those little "tin can" trailers with their bronco? I'm thinking of picking one up after hunting season is over. Maybe from the 60's or early 70's. I would think one of the little 12-footers wouldn't weigh too much more over 1200 lbs.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I just hauled over 1100 lbs of scrap to the recycler behind my Bronco on Monday and to be honest I barely knew it was back there. But I've been hauling a mowing trailer around behind me for over half my life so I'm used to the way it makes a vehicle feel.

But to answer your question, NO what that guy was doing is not safe!! Franko said that the guy was broke down, blocking traffic on a busy road. Something about blowing up his t-case. Geeeee I wonder why???

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
Just for grins I would like to hitch our family's 24' Chaparral boat to my EB and snap a pic....but I think the tongue weight would rip my rear bumper off. I guess I could Photoshop it?

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
This was not safe. It was the scariest thing I ever towed. I almost had it in the ditch a few times. It was even scarrier then when the steering linkage fell off on the highway.

and the tank was empty.

That probably wouldnt be too bad if it wernt for all the weight at rear of trailer.
anytime the weight is on the back of the trailer (not balanced)...the higher the speed...the more unstable the situation becomes. this is what i consider "the tail wagging the dog!"

Ranchtruck

That probably wouldnt be too bad if it wernt for all the weight at rear of trailer.
anytime the weight is on the back of the trailer (not balanced)...the higher the speed...the more unstable the situation becomes. this is what i consider "the tail wagging the dog!"

And you know with the trailer built out of a F-150 it doesn't have any trailer brakes, so once it starts waggin there's no way to straighten it back out except going along for the ride.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here in Hawaii, There was an EB that was constantly doing boat towing duties with a much bigger boat. I would see it early mornings cruising at 55mph on the freeway heading to one of the boat launches on the westside while we were heading to the fishing spots.
It didn't look unsafe actually it looked pretty cool.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
IMO make sure you have first class brakes in the Bronco, then get as long of a tongue on the trailer as you can, trailer brakes and a load leveler hitch. Get the axles positioned under the trailer where they need to be also. Leave a lot earlier and drive a little more cautiously you should be fine. Practice a little to get the feel a few times to see if you are confident or not. If it seems ok, go for it very carefully.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And you know with the trailer built out of a F-150 it doesn't have any trailer brakes, so once it starts waggin there's no way to straighten it back out except going along for the ride.

It actually does have trailer brakes. Disks no less.

But yes, it was about the worst case trailer possible. Weight too far back, not enough toungue weight. Soft springs, high CG. High speeds, are you joking? 20MPH was about it, 25 and it started swaying bad and you nearly had to stop for the sway to go away. It was towed home from 11 miles away early on a Sunday morning with very little traffic on back country roads.

And as mentioned, the ability to pull a trailer isn't the issue. Lots of power, low gears, Broncos will pull nearly anything. It is the ability to control it and stop it.

surveyor5

Loc.
Oakridge, OR
You won't believe this: Of the many heavy loads I have towed, this one tops the mark!
From Sisters, OR I towed a tandem axle trailer over the Sisters scales weighing 11,200 lbs. on the trailer axles only. This is not bad enough. The road was covered in compact snow & ice. My wife was following me and she said "She could hear the engine sceaming as I was trying to maintain 45-50 MPH all the way. Poor ole 302.
Not to mention " I was talking to GOD all the way " saying if you let me get home I will never do anything this stupid again.
Worked out OK, but I think maybe I lied.
When you do something like this, You need to be sure your seat material is very strong - cause sometimes that is the only grip you have. Trust me!

69 Fl. Bronc

That sounds promising. My boat "total package" weight is around 2200 lb; however I travel about 90 miles ea way (75% highway) when I fish.

You must have one hell of a spot to go that far here.I tow less than 10 mins. and am moving even closer to the ramp.;D I may try the bronco for a tow rig (19' key west with a 150 on back). For picture sake if nothing else. It helps that Fl. is crazy flat.

OP
OP
T

THE_74BEAST

Loc.
Central, FL
You must have one hell of a spot to go that far here.I tow less than 10 mins. and am moving even closer to the ramp.;D I may try the bronco for a tow rig (19' key west with a 150 on back). For picture sake if nothing else. It helps that Fl. is crazy flat.

My problem is that I live in Polk County, nearly dead central Florida. The West coast is closer, but I prefer East coast fishing. As you said, Florida is flat (thank God) so perhaps towing is very do able. My trip is mostly highway 60, so there wouldn't be many concerns with traffic or quick stops; safe distance would be maintained because folks would be blowing by me at a high rate of speed (75+mph) compared to my most likey 60-65mph. ;D

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bad idea. If you start to get any type of trailer whip with that short of wheel base and that light of tow rig you are going to go around.

It may look cool, but it won't when it's in the ditch or on coming traffic.

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
It seems like everyone on here has the same concerns as me. Which is good. Until I get my front brakes upgraded to disc I won't be pulling anything over 800 lbs anyway. Idaho has too many hills and too many idiots (out of staters) on the back country roads thinking they're on the interstate.

Last edited:

krisbassett

It seems like everyone on here has the same concerns as me. Which is good. Until I get my front brakes upgraded to disc I won't be pulling anything over 800 lbs anyway. Idaho has too many hills and too many idiots (out of staters) on the back country roads thinking their on the interstate.

That's no crap!! This time of year is bad around here for out of state drivers thinking they are still on the highway. I was pulling my 25' fifthwheel home yesterday using my 76 F-150 and I had people passing me in spots that were ridiculous!! I have never towed anything too heavy with my Bronco but I plan on pulling a 2 place wheeler trailer when I get the axle and brakes upgraded. Like said before towing power is not a problem but you need to be able to stop! I will say this though you can not beat a EB for putting a trailer into a tight spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I pulled an 18' console boat to the coast a few times many years ago with a one of my 69s but it was scary. Towing is what they make F250s for.;D

crab

Bronco Guru
what's the worst thing that could happen?:eek:

Attachments

• truck-hanging-over-cliff.jpg
    truck-hanging-over-cliff.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 33

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
It seems like everyone on here has the same concerns as me. Which is good. Until I get my front brakes upgraded to disc I won't be pulling anything over 800 lbs anyway. Idaho has too many hills and too many idiots (out of staters) on the back country roads thinking they're on the interstate.

Lucky you! You only have to worry about "OUT OF STATERS" Around here when it rains they go 10 mph faster and when it snows they kick it up 20 mph:eek:

Jim W.