• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Its about time! Im cutting off my rockers.

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
I bought the steel friday. 2x6 3/16ths thick, that will do the trick. I cut off one rocker today. So far so good. I need to cut my front fenders for flairs. I will order gorilla warflares tomorrow. I need these before I can finish. I have them on the back. It wont be long till I can drive it like I stole it! Im using everybodys advice in recent threads. Im not sure how long to leave the inside vertical rocker. I was thinking about cutting it 1/4" shorter than the rock slider? Weld it on the back side.

joe

Bronco Guru
CHOP! CHOP!

I bought some rockskis from Chuck before i smashed em.

probably will cut em out someday just to give me more clearence.

OP
OP
got-broncos

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
Ok, I ordered my front flares monday. Im cutting off 2nd rocker now. I thought I would take some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
got-broncos

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
I am going to weld to the front, back and sides of rockers. I havent heard about anybody having problems with this yet. If you have please let me know.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
BroncoJAK built mine, and he did it the same way you are. Mine are SOLID!!

Rock%20Skis%20004%20(Large).jpg

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
No problems that I'm aware of... seen it both ways and was just curious. I'll be doing mine in about a month. kbldawg have you droped them on a rock yet?

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Looking good.

When I do mine they will be done the same way. I also will probably tie them to the frame but not welded. Instead I will use plates on the end of the legs and a flat rubber bushing between this and the frame so I don't transmit shock from the suspension/drivetrain to the body.

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Hold on a second folks, now that looks BA and it has to be just as strong if not stronger than my American Bronco (Hanson) Rockers, BCB Rockskiis or Proto Fab rockers, but if you're going through the trouble and have the skill, why not tie 'em into the frame? What's the train of thought here; stronger option, cheaper than replacement rockers, more ground clearance, etc.? One more step and you can go for the Gold! They look GREAT!

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
Concur, that looks awesome! You're not having to brace anything right? Just cut it out, bend the metal and weld in the new steel? It seems like that's something I should do sooner before that all rusts out, so I can protect it the right way now and never have to worry about it again!

Take lots of pictures and give us details!

OP
OP
got-broncos

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
Thanks everybody. kbldawg yours look great. There have been several threads on this before. I think scoop had the last one. The administer has a good one. I have seen many rigs with this set up. I am glade it took me so long to do it. I probably would have gone with a different ski had I done it A while ago. You get about 4" more ground clearance this way this way. 2" of protection on the sides. You can make them air tanks. If you tie them to the frame you could have some problems with flex and vibration. Im glad I didnt try to protect the original rockers. They looked pretty good. I found out they wern't great after I cut the rockers off. I cant wait to get them done and go try them out. I used a cut off wheel on a grinder for all my body cutting.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
No, I haven't dropped them on a rock yet, but I aint skeered neither. :cool:

Like, got-broncos said, you don't want to tie them into the frame and body, bad idea.

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
It's a solid weld down the outer rocker and 1/4 panel. Plug welded to the inner rocker. And a solid bead on both endds to body gussets and kick panels. And obvious;D amounts of seam sealer to keep any moisture out. Fender is left loose.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
OK, gotbroncos, I really like what you're doing. I want to do something like that too. Part of my deal is I'm cutting the tub and extending it 10" and I'm hoping for some support. So I hearing that there's really no need to tie to the frame???;D

joe

Bronco Guru
Like, got-broncos said, you don't want to tie them into the frame and body, bad idea.

i tied my rock skis into the roll cage thats tied into the frame and have no issues with any vibration and it flexes quite well for a 4" lift, bc coils & wild horses 11 pack springs. my cage however is not connected to the body except in the rear and it just sits on top of the body mount back there.

i think if your gona wheel it HARD then you might want to tie it in. i use my skis ALOT and use em hard. they take allot of big hits. i dont think the body will hold up over time with that kinda abuse without some help from the frame but i could be wrong.

for a mild wheeler and driver then i probably would not tie them in.

anyway....lookin good man!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, gotbroncos, I really like what you're doing. I want to do something like that too. Part of my deal is I'm cutting the tub and extending it 10" and I'm hoping for some support. So I hearing that there's really no need to tie to the frame???;D

Ben - I've got BC's on Jessica's blue rig and have abused them pretty good before and have had no trouble - same principle I guess since they are only "wraps" for the stock rocker. I've done the same as this thread on my trail rig and as of now it's only welded to the body but I DO have plans of tieing it into my frame (but I gotta get it back on the frame first!!).

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i use my skis ALOT and use em hard. they take allot of big hits.

Don't lie to everyone Joe - you know Natalie is the one that really wheels it hard and beats on them! ;D