• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just got back from a trip- bronco didn't make it home

PaulBronco

Hi all,

Unfortunately my Bronco made it about two-thirds of the way down to the beach before my transmission/ transfer case failed. The bronco will no longer stay in 2H. Anyway, I had to have my baby towed to a mechanic/ transmission shop that I know nothing about (about 100 miles from home). Not being much of a mechanic myself, how many hours would it take a transmissions professional to rebuild my transfer case? Any advantage to new versus rebuilt? I haven't talked to the mechanic yet, but I'm trying to assess the damage and get an idea of how much this is going to cost me.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

cs_88

Bronco Guru
My Bronco also has a problem staying in 2H, but it's nothing a bungee cord can't fix.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Paul, can't help with a price but IF you end up having to replace the gears, I'd suggest you consider the Tera-Low kit (assuming that you wheel it).

OP
OP
P

PaulBronco

I wish a bungee cord would do the trick but i think it is completely shot! Rob, thanks for the advice. I actually don't wheel it- pretty much stock uncut but drive it often.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Then stuff in an aod and make it a 2wd rig, solves both problems and gives you an overdrive...

I rebuilt a D20 at home in 4-5 hours, it's the remove and reinstall that will cost you... I can almost bet your estimate will be close to just sucking it up and buying an atlas... Especially if you paying someone $60-100 per hour.

I'd be willing to bet a little internet detective work and you could buy another D20 for a couple hundred bucks and be on you way down the road again...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If the mechanic was familiar with D20s it would take about 2 hours to rebuild it if he had all the parts available. If he's never seen one before it could take him a whole day. New D20s don't exist.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The rebuild kit for a D20 is only $100.... They are gona soak ya on the labor... And it could be as simple as needing a new spring and detent kit for the shift rails at only about $20.... Good luck!! I would have it towed home.. D2o's are easy to rebuild....

OP
OP
P

PaulBronco

i certainly want to have the 4wd option. also left out this detail- i injured my hand this weekend as well so i'm in a splint for couple weeks. i won't be doing any work on it anytime soon, but i've got to get it back on the road.

OsideDave

Sounds like getting another D20 and taking it to him is the lowest cost option, assuming you can find one soon. I sold one a 4 months ago for approx 75-100, can't remember exact price but that should give a ball park on pricing.

Johnny

If 2 high was the only problem, you could have dropped the front driveshaft and drove it the rest of the way in 4 high... I know it's a little late now, but it might save somebody a towbill in the future...

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Without knowing the condition of your t-case I'll add that it maybe best to get a rebuilt one shipped into RDU by Freight Forward from Jeff's or Suzie's. You can take the fresh 20 to the shop where your EB is sitting right now. That's the easy (expensive) way out since your hand is injured. If it were me, I would do it myself and save a few $100. The Dana 20 is a very straight forward remove and swap, just pay attention to those bearings. Now's a good time to get new mounting bushings and hardware also.

OP
OP
P

PaulBronco

If 2 high was the only problem, you could have dropped the front driveshaft and drove it the rest of the way in 4 high... I know it's a little late now, but it might save somebody a towbill in the future...
Yep, unfortunately I couldn't get it into 4H either, just 4L. Would have been a long trip home on the side of the highway ;)

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Its probably more your shifter than the actual case. What you should do, is get a AAA membership, have them tow it back to your house and then buy a couple of cases of beer, have some local Bronco Bros over and whether it needs to be rebuilt or simply twin-sticked will be easy and quick enough to do. There isnt alot that can go wrong with the D20...give us the full details on what went wrong, how? and what led up to it. I would guess that its more simple than what you believe.

If it does need to be rebuilt...it can be done in a few hours. If you absolutely are commited to this shop, then consider buying a TC from JBG or Duff's and having it drop-shipped to the shop and have the shop install it...send your core back when you pick up the truck...but dont be surprised if you find out down the road that its the shifter that took the dump not the case...

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I vote it would be cheaper to have it towed home and pull the case yourself and find someone local who has one for sale. You can probably pick up a transfer case for 50-100 bucks in good shape. Good luck.