• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Keep popping fuse for gauges...

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Brand new centech harness, everything worked fine until Sunday when I went and filled the tank completely up. The gauges (fuel and temp on original cluster) worked fine until I turned it off. Then they wouldn’t register at all when I turned it back on. I’m wondering if my sending unit is shorting out, with the full tank.
I just got the fitech issue sorted out which was a long frustrating trouble shooting process, so if this is the problem I am given I will gladly take it! It’s just annoying. My stock sending unit does nothing but serve as a fuel level sensor. Very odd.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What does the fuel gauge read? Higher than normal? Pegged? Just where expected?
And have you blown multiple fuses yet, while working on this?

Try disconnecting the fuel gauge only (unplug the sending unit is the easiest perhaps?) and see if it still blows the fuse.

If so, then disconnect the power IN to the instrument voltage regulator and see if it still happens.
If yes, then it's before the gauges and something else is going on.

Did you change anything else lately? The instrument fuse most likely protects other circuits as well, so if you messed with something on the same circuit that might be it.
I'm not sure what, if anything might share the fuse, but Centech could probably tell you.
Then we'll all write it down for future reference!

Paul

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Thanks man! Yea it was pegged full when I filled up. I’ll do some testing this evening and write up a report.

OP
OP
M

MultiBeast

Loc.
NC
Still trying to track this down. Have completely unhooked sending unit and it is still blowing. Will be getting in touch with centech this week to see exactly what’s on that circuit

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which sending unit? All three of them, or just the fuel?
I would still work on the assumption that it could be any of the three sending wires, OR the IVR itself, OR the wire to the fuse.
But disconnecting the single wire feeding the IVR first would at least isolate the issue to either before, or after the instrument cluster.

If you disconnect the incoming power to the IVR on the back of the cluster and the fuse still blows, then it's not one of the gauges and the fact that you had just filled the gas tank would seem to be a coincidental happening.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The sending unit side of the gauges are all grounds up to the gauge. The oppsite side of the gauge going to the IVR and the to the ignition switch is positive. The gauge cluster metal housing is grounded. Check the assembly of the cluster very carefully.